Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   204 ruger or 223 remington? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/204-ruger-223-remington-12494/)

doss 04-02-2009 06:10 AM

204 ruger or 223 remington?

I am curently looking for a new varmint rifle. I want to get a Howa Axiom with a 24" heavy barrel, mainly because i like the pistol grip and it comes in camo. I am having trouble deciding on wether to get a 204 or 223. I really want a 204, but i would probably shoot the 223 more because of the cheaper ammo. I dont reload but am hoping to learn in the next year or two, how much would that get the cost of the 204 rounds down to. How does the 204 balistics handle yotes. I currently shoot a 220 swift falling block. Its a nice gun but cost me at few chances on doubles. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

cpttango30 04-02-2009 11:55 AM

just pick one you want. They are just about equal in performance. The 204 is going to heat up barrels faster if you are in a dog town or other high volume varmint shooting spot.

You say you missed a few doubles. So that makes me think you are yote smackin. for that I would not pick either one. I would go with a 22-250 more energy more range better bullet performance from the higher speed.

Reloading cost are going to be about the same for all three the only real variable is going to be powder, the 22-250 is going to use more. Primers are threw the roof right now with people trying to turn a quick buck on line charging 4 or 5 times what they are worth. People are buying them though so I guess they are not so stupid after all.

Your biggest expense is going to be all the reloading equipment. but that is another discussion all together.

Yunus 04-02-2009 02:44 PM

I was looking at the exact gun in .223 and I can tell you its hard to find. There are 2 or 3 available but they want a lot of money for them. I would suggest going with the caliber you can find in stock, especially if you plan on reloading in the future the cost of the off the shelf round is less relevant then.

Wal-Mart stocks the .223 at least and they have the cheapest price, if you can find them in stock that is.

doss 04-02-2009 05:33 PM

All ive heard is good things about them. Never owned a Howa but people say they are up there with some of the best in performance. I didnt realize they were so hard to get ahold of. Thats good advice, the gun may make the decision for me, hope i can find one.

Yunus 04-02-2009 08:17 PM

It's not the Howa that's hard to find, its the Axiom stock on anything but the .308 and like I said its not impossible they are out there but be prepared to pay or search a lot.

bessemerbob 04-04-2009 12:57 AM

I have the 223, roomate the 204. Both are great rounds, both will kill earth pig at 300yrds! 223 hits you a little less in the wallet, and thats why I have the 223 $$$$$$