.204 barrel burner?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .204 barrel burner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .204 barrel burner?

I went shooting my Tikka T3 Lite in .308 last weekend and my friend brought his .204. I really liked how you could see your hits though the scope and because it does not beat up my shoulder as bad as my Tikka. I really want to get one, but my brother tells me that they are really bad about burning up barrels. Anybody on here know if he is just full of it or is he right? I am looking at a Sako 85 varmint laminated with ss flutted barrel...If it is a burner would a chromemoly barrel last longer?

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
- Larry Elder

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-28-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1383 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1025

I have a Rem 700 in 204. I'm shooting Hornady VMax and at 4225 fps the barrel's gonna get hot after just 25 rounds or so. I'm guessing there's potential for burning a barrel if you put lots of rounds through it or don't clean it. But I'm not shooting up much more than 40 rounds with a bolt action at the range. I shoot enough to zero it in and hunt with it...and hunting, I'm shooting one or two rounds at a time as a target presents itself.

I love the 204, good flat tragectory (0.0" drop at 200 yards), blazing speed, easy recoil for target reacq. I also did terminal ballistics tests with it and was very happy with the penetration of the 32 gr bullet. I've killed coyotes and hogs with this round with good shot placement.

That Sako is nice. I wouldn't worry too much about burning a barrel. If Sakos offering firearms chamberd in 204 Ruger they aren't just throwing rifles on the market without R&D and serious ballistics tests.

Last edited by 7point62; 10-27-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

I also have a Rem 700 in the .204 that is accurate and shots a tight pattern at over 4200 fps. I never shoot enough to have seen a problem with the barrel although if abuse any gun you will have problems.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The caliber and the high pressure cartridges do make this a potential to eat through a barrel faster than a slower moving round.

Having said that: Unless you are shooting it all day, day in and day out, slaying something like groundhogs (where you are shooting hundreds of rounds at a sitting) most part time shooters are not going to "shoot out" a barrel of decent quality with "normal" use.

What would the application be? That might help answer your question a little better.

JD

Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The caliber and the high pressure cartridges do make this a potential to eat through a barrel faster than a slower moving round.

Having said that: Unless you are shooting it all day, day in and day out, slaying something like groundhogs (where you are shooting hundreds of rounds at a sitting) most part time shooters are not going to "shoot out" a barrel of decent quality with "normal" use.

What would the application be? That might help answer your question a little better.

JD
would be shooting mostly target but plan on shooting rabbits too...Im gonna shoot 6 shot groups, take the walk and check em out, let it cool off, and repeat.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMBIESLATER View Post
would be shooting mostly target but plan on shooting rabbits too...Im gonna shoot 6 shot groups, take the walk and check em out, let it cool off, and
By way of comparison - the last .204 thru the shop was a factory rifle with an estimate of 1000-1200 rounds through it. We did a bedding job, trigger job and a new scope and mount (the real reason it came in) and it was fine when finished. Shot sub moa out to 200 with no preset on the original shooter, but his zero was 200, so that was our test group.

while this won't shoot 5,000 rounds at 4,000 plus fps and still be as tight as the day it came out of the box, it's not a super fast "barrel burner" in relation to other high pressure calibers (.223 WSSM is an example).

Obviously rifle, throat & barrel specifically, care are in utmost order. Care for the barrel's heat exposure and proper expansion/contraction under fire are huge, but 4,000 plus feet per second in such a narrow cross section is going to play adverse effects with steel or chrome moly dynamics.

You won't buy this rifle, shoot 10 or 15 of these 6 round groups per weekend, every weekend, for years to come and pass this rifle on to your kids.

But with care and common sense usage/cleaning, you will get good life out of the round and the rifle.

Hope that helps.

JD

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #7

It sure does help...Thanks for all the input...When I order it I will post some pics...I already ordered a Zeiss MC Conquest 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Rapid Z Varmint Reticle Matte black. Midway offeres a $100 off coupon if you order 1 before the 1st of Jan

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Barrel burning is relitive. Yes the 204 will burn out a barrel faster than a .222, but beside the 224TTH it`s real easy on barrels. The 204 is a great round for small varments, but I personally have had real bad luck with coyotes and lite bullets and none of my 204`s ever shot the heaver bullets well. My CZ probly has around 1000 rounds down the tube and is showing no signs of accuracy loss, still shooting under 1/2 moa.

Catfish
Ohio