2 rifles, which to buy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 2 rifles, which to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

Man, I was leaning towards the mossberg lol. Recoil doesn't bother me if that's the only real downfall. Guess I would prefer the drop box mag on the axis or NCSS anyways. I'll look in to the marlin though. How much do they run and how would you compare it to the savage as far as accuracy?
This is my 22-250 axis and my 22 group at a 100yards the 250 is the one that hit the bulleye

image-126817037.jpg

this is my savage 110 with reloads I'm working on

image-366060062.jpg

The marlins run about 350 I believe may be wrong I got mine for 325 used but it was like brand new but the 111 is worth the extra money because they are build strong I'm looking at the savage 16 in 300 wsm and it only 478 I think the 111 should be around the same price just depends on were you find it

Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #12

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I'm Trying to decide which rifle to buy next. Both in 30-06. I like the feel of the savage accu trigger over the mossbergs 2 stage but still, the 2 stage trigger is nice. The mossbergs action feels tighter and operates more smoothly but I'm ok with the feel of the savage. Mossberg also has iron sights where the savage does not. Nice so I can still shoot and learn my gun while saving for a nice scope. The savages pro's are the accu stock which has fiberglass (I believe) packing between it and the barrel supposedly helping with harmonics. I love the fact that it has a detectable mag where the mossberg is top loading only. Another thing I'm worried about is mounting a bipod to the mossberg, the sling mount is molded into the stock, not the standard "button". Wondering if a bipod will mount to that. So for the 260$ extra the savage cost I get the better feeling trigger, detach mag, nicer stock, guaranteed bipod fitment, and I feel savage makes a nicer quality feeling firearm. What's your guys opinions? Also open to any suggestions of rifles available in a 30-06 with similar features if you feel there's something out there in this price range I'd like as well.

I can get the mossberg atr for 320$

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-100-atr-centerfire-long-action/26153

And the savage for around 580$

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
Take a look at howa 1500, they have adjustable triggers smooth actions and you can choose your stock. You can also buy after market drop in mags for them. Most stocks have 2 forend swivel /bipod attachments. Sub moa out of the box (depends on shooter and scope of course ). Can get em cheaper than savage.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 343 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm a fan of Savage rifles too. I bought a new one way back in 1965 called a Premiere 110, left bolt, Monte Carlo stock and Redfield Widefield 3x9 scope. I don't remember what it cost but, I gotta tell you, that boom stick is the most accurate 30-06 I've ever owned and it's for darn sure put a lot of venison in the locker too. They made them a lot better back then I think but, I've not heard too many complaints on them lately though. Keep it clean dry and oiled and it'll last you a lifetime.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 196

if money is no object buy the savage and dont look back. mossbergs work like they should though. they go bang and hit things. but if money isnt a problem the savage is alot better

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #15

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
So you think since mossberg is known for shotguns that their rifles will be poor quality? Guess that could be true but don't really see a name like mossberg turning out inferior product. Are the savage axis's available with a 2 stage trigger? Didn't see one on their website and the 2 stage is almost a must for me
I guess my opinion of the Mossberg name and your opinion differs a little. I have never been a huge Mossy fan in shotguns either, I have shot them and just didn't care for them, that's not to say they don't turn out a functional shotgun at a decent price that many like, I'm just not one of them.

That said I feel it is far easier to offer a good reliable shotgun at a value price tag than it is a rifle. If you can buy a new rifle at the prices these Mossy rifles are going for there is a reason for it, namely they are cutting corners on the manufacture of that gun in some way and it will reflect in the quality and performance. I have read a few reviews on this rifle and they haven't been saying it's complete junk because as many will say if it can kill a deer it's good enough, well that's fine but I won't waste my money on a bolt action rifle that some reviews claim is not capable of MOA. The reviews I have read call this a 1.5-2 MOA rifle, that is plain unacceptable to me in a bolt action. Also this review of the ATR says it is a single stage trigger with the 2 stage feel: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/foghorn/gun-review-mossberg-100-atr/

Also I have a Rem ADL which is the cheap plastic stock with no opening floorplate on the mag, that gun shoots one hole groups with factory premium ammo, however I don't like the gun as it lacks the opening floorplate, to me this is a must in a cheap hunting gun, either a removable mag or a hinged floorplate, jacking out the shells is sort of a pain.

There is also plenty of talk online of broken extractors and firing pins and problems with the "cheaply made bolt" as they call it, possibly Mossberg could have remedied these problems already. But for my money if I get a value bolt action it will be an Axis or the Marlin.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #16

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

This is my 22-250 axis and my 22 group at a 100yards the 250 is the one that hit the bulleye

this is my savage 110 with reloads I'm working on

The marlins run about 350 I believe may be wrong I got mine for 325 used but it was like brand new but the 111 is worth the extra money because they are build strong I'm looking at the savage 16 in 300 wsm and it only 478 I think the 111 should be around the same price just depends on were you find it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter

Take a look at howa 1500, they have adjustable triggers smooth actions and you can choose your stock. You can also buy after market drop in mags for them. Most stocks have 2 forend swivel /bipod attachments. Sub moa out of the box (depends on shooter and scope of course ). Can get em cheaper than savage.
Have you shot or owned one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

I guess my opinion of the Mossberg name and your opinion differs a little. I have never been a huge Mossy fan in shotguns either, I have shot them and just didn't care for them, that's not to say they don't turn out a functional shotgun at a decent price that many like, I'm just not one of them.

That said I feel it is far easier to offer a good reliable shotgun at a value price tag than it is a rifle. If you can buy a new rifle at the prices these Mossy rifles are going for there is a reason for it, namely they are cutting corners on the manufacture of that gun in some way and it will reflect in the quality and performance. I have read a few reviews on this rifle and they haven't been saying it's complete junk because as many will say if it can kill a deer it's good enough, well that's fine but I won't waste my money on a bolt action rifle that some reviews claim is not capable of MOA. The reviews I have read call this a 1.5-2 MOA rifle, that is plain unacceptable to me in a bolt action. Also this review of the ATR says it is a single stage trigger with the 2 stage feel: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/foghorn/gun-review-mossberg-100-atr/

Also I have a Rem ADL which is the cheap plastic stock with no opening floorplate on the mag, that gun shoots one hole groups with factory premium ammo, however I don't like the gun as it lacks the opening floorplate, to me this is a must in a cheap hunting gun, either a removable mag or a hinged floorplate, jacking out the shells is sort of a pain.

There is also plenty of talk online of broken extractors and firing pins and problems with the "cheaply made bolt" as they call it, possibly Mossberg could have remedied these problems already. But for my money if I get a value bolt action it will be an Axis or the Marlin.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #17

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

Yeah, I think I will stay towards a nicer rifle. Did a little more reading on the atr. Now I have some reading on the marlin compared to the axis

Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #18

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The savage.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Usually Mossberg does not make good rifles. Every now and then they do make a good rifle. If you can find a Mossberg to shoot I would consider it. Not because of the price but it has open sights on it. Everything about a scope is fragile. I don't care what you paid for it. I have seen them all break. At least if the scope breaks on the Mossberg you can find a screwdriver and keep hunting. I might not carry 2 rifles on a hunt but I always have a screwdriver.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #20

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:

Have you shot or owned one?
Of course I own one otherwise I wouldn't have offered it as a suggestion, what's yer point?