Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 2 rifles, which to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default 2 rifles, which to buy

I'm Trying to decide which rifle to buy next. Both in 30-06. I like the feel of the savage accu trigger over the mossbergs 2 stage but still, the 2 stage trigger is nice. The mossbergs action feels tighter and operates more smoothly but I'm ok with the feel of the savage. Mossberg also has iron sights where the savage does not. Nice so I can still shoot and learn my gun while saving for a nice scope. The savages pro's are the accu stock which has fiberglass (I believe) packing between it and the barrel supposedly helping with harmonics. I love the fact that it has a detectable mag where the mossberg is top loading only. Another thing I'm worried about is mounting a bipod to the mossberg, the sling mount is molded into the stock, not the standard "button". Wondering if a bipod will mount to that. So for the 260$ extra the savage cost I get the better feeling trigger, detach mag, nicer stock, guaranteed bipod fitment, and I feel savage makes a nicer quality feeling firearm. What's your guys opinions? Also open to any suggestions of rifles available in a 30-06 with similar features if you feel there's something out there in this price range I'd like as well.

I can get the mossberg atr for 320$

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-100-atr-centerfire-long-action/26153

And the savage for around 580$

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I wouldn't buy a mossberg rifle, maybe some will disagree but that is my opinion. When I hear Mossberg I think 12 guage shotgun, not rifle. Savage is a good rifle, some of the best out of the box accuracy comes from Savage nowadays. This is a situation where I say you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a more affordable gun I would suggest the Savage Axis over that Mossberg. I don't have experience with the Axis but plenty of folks on here say it is a great shooter for a value gun.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
I wouldn't buy a mossberg rifle, maybe some will disagree but that is my opinion. When I hear Mossberg I think 12 guage shotgun, not rifle. Savage is a good rifle, some of the best out of the box accuracy comes from Savage nowadays. This is a situation where I say you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a more affordable gun I would suggest the Savage Axis over that Mossberg. I don't have experience with the Axis but plenty of folks on here say it is a great shooter for a value gun.
So you think since mossberg is known for shotguns that their rifles will be poor quality? Guess that could be true but don't really see a name like mossberg turning out inferior product. Are the savage axis's available with a 2 stage trigger? Didn't see one on their website and the 2 stage is almost a must for me

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have a savage 110 in 30-06 and a savage edge/axis in 22-250 and I love both of them and marlin x7 series are great rifles to but I would go with the savage over the marlin
Savage 110 30-06
image-3877790781.jpg

Savage edge 22-250

image-3761670826.jpg

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

So you think since mossberg is known for shotguns that their rifles will be poor quality? Guess that could be true but don't really see a name like mossberg turning out inferior product. Are the savage axis's available with a 2 stage trigger? Didn't see one on their website and the 2 stage is almost a must for me
No the axis is a set trigger I would go ahead and buy the high end savage you are looking at there great rifle and you can't go wrong with it plus they are tough I beat my 110 and i never had a problem with it

Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
I have a savage 110 in 30-06 and a savage edge/axis in 22-250 and I love both of them and marlin x7 series are great rifles to but I would go with the savage over the marlin
Savage 110 30-06

Savage edge 22-250
What features do those have? Like trigger and mag?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #7

Guess my link didn't work. The savage I'm wanting is the 11/111 NCSS

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:

No the axis is a set trigger I would go ahead and buy the high end savage you are looking at there great rifle and you can't go wrong with it plus they are tough I beat my 110 and i never had a problem with it
Just didn't know if I could save a little cash and be just as happy. What I was really asking I guess. You think I should stick with the high end savage? Would you take an axis over the mossberg with a 2 stage trigger?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

Just didn't know if I could save a little cash and be just as happy. What I was really asking I guess. You think I should stick with the high end savage? Would you take an axis over the mossberg with a 2 stage trigger?
I say save up the money for the savage and yes I would take the axis over the mossberg don't get me wrong I love there shotguns but once you shoot one of there rifles you learn the true meaning of recoil but if you go the budget road look and the marlin xl7 they have adjustable trigger that feel great but they load from the top same as my savage 110 it loads from the top the axis trigger is not as bad as people make it sound the more round you put down range the trigger looses up I estimate my trigger around 3.5 to 4 pounds on my axis and thats perfect for what I use it for which is coyote hunting but the savage 11/111 are great rifle that can handle anything you throw at it

Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:

I say save up the money for the savage and yes I would take the axis over the mossberg don't get me wrong I love there shotguns but once you shoot one of there rifles you learn the true meaning of recoil but if you go the budget road look and the marlin xl7 they have adjustable trigger that feel great but they load from the top same as my savage 110 it loads from the top the axis trigger is not as bad as people make it sound the more round you put down range the trigger looses up I estimate my trigger around 3.5 to 4 pounds on my axis and thats perfect for what I use it for which is coyote hunting but the savage 11/111 are great rifle that can handle anything you throw at it
Man, I was leaning towards the mossberg lol. Recoil doesn't bother me if that's the only real downfall. Guess I would prefer the drop box mag on the axis or NCSS anyways. I'll look in to the marlin though. How much do they run and how would you compare it to the savage as far as accuracy?