1960's Mannlicher MC-60, 30-06 - milling a side mount plate down
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 1960's Mannlicher MC-60, 30-06 - milling a side mount plate down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1960's Mannlicher MC-60, 30-06 - milling a side mount plate down

My dad gave me his Mannlicher 30-06. It is a beautiful rifle, made in Austria, and in mint condition. I am thinking of putting a side mount scope on it since I will not drill any holes in the rifle for standard scopes. It came tapped for a rear ring mount, but the front ring used rings that screwed together and was installed under the barrell by taking out the stock. In the 1970 Firearms Almanac they cost $15 to $30. Now they are like $300 a piece from Austria.
The rifle can also take a side mounted scope. Since i refuse to drill any holes in the gun, I was able to purchase a G&H side mount from a great guy in Chicago for a good price. It is a bit too large since it was for another Mannlicher rifle. I need it milled down to fit the rifle. Is this a big deal to get done? G&H wants $100 just to mill down the plate and $160 to mount the side scope and another charge to install a scope and sight it in. Any ideas since I want to maintain the integrity of the rifle. I use it for target shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Will you have to modify the stock in any way? If so,I would just leave it as is,or you will hurt the value of the rifle if it is in mint condition.
I would just buy another rifle to use before you destroy the value of the present one.

Too many nice guns get bubba'd because the owners want to change them up,but it is your gun.Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

Thanks Txhillbilly.
I agree. What my dad told me before he passed was the rifle was ready for a side mount. I see the stock made ready for the side mount plate but the G&H side mount plate I have is a bit too long since it was for a different Mannlicher. I will need to take the gun aprt and see if the screws line up. If so it would require milling down the side mount plate to fit. I prefer not to drill any new holes.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

You are talking about milling the scope mount and NOT the rifle receiver, yes?
If you are sure the mount can be attached securely using the factory holes in the gun, I don't see any problem with it.

Rule #1: Always modify the least expensive part.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Yes the scope mount. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

And where are the pics of this fine rifle??? Hmm??????

Most of us can't read around here, so we like to look at pretty pictures.......

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."