Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 1942 91/30 mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateMcBate View Post
I picked up 1942 mosin nagant 91/30 at fleet farm. I knew a little bit at the time and was looking for a m44, but no luck.
Heres the thing I paid $440 because it has the pu scope. I thought it was great. Turns out the scope is reproduction. I took it to the range shoots great with iron sights, but no luck with scope. I zeroed everything in and then tried to loosen the calibration screws and nothing worked. All and all I have $100 gun that looks cooler. Any have any knowledge on these things let me know. Thanks
Hope you didnt loosen the screws too much...

Heres a link on sighting in the PU scope: http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

I gots me a 1942 "sniper".....

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #22

So thats the article I went buy. And i used a fealer guage to shim and when i tried to calibrate the screws with windage & elevation nothing happened. Do you have a reproduction pu scope?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #23

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateMcBate View Post
So thats the article I went buy. And i used a fealer guage to shim and when i tried to calibrate the screws with windage & elevation nothing happened. Do you have a reproduction pu scope?
My PU is from 1942, released from the armory in 1950.. I havent sighted mine in yet, I need to make me more 180 gr. bullets

More links from the forum:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/help-sighting-my-mosin-91-30-sniper-50009/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-pu-sniper-manual-46485/

Last edited by Trez; 01-24-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #24

Thx every1. Finally got it all apart and got every single metal piece cleaned up. Now I just got to do Tue stock. I don't got Amy degreaser right now so I guess it will have to wait. By Tue way, all I ildid was strip the rifle and use hopeys #9 solivent. After cleaning each part with that I rubbed it all down with the hopeys lube. Looks great. Only wiered thing is, when I tool Tue barrel off, I found a little chunk of I think dirt in between Tue barrel and stock. After cleaning the barrel I can now see were the dirt was. It was there for so long it put a little bit of an indentation on the barrel.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Thx every1. Finally got it all apart and got every single metal piece cleaned up. Now I just got to do Tue stock. I don't got Amy degreaser right now so I guess it will have to wait. By Tue way, all I ildid was strip the rifle and use hopeys #9 solivent. After cleaning each part with that I rubbed it all down with the hopeys lube. Looks great. Only wiered thing is, when I tool Tue barrel off, I found a little chunk of I think dirt in between Tue barrel and stock. After cleaning the barrel I can now see were the dirt was. It was there for so long it put a little bit of an indentation on the barrel.
Cosmoline would not be hard enough to leave an indentation in the barrel. Might be a small rust spot. Get all the rust off and touch up the barrel with a reblueing pen.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #26

It wasn't cosmoline. It looked like some dirt. It was a good amount. And after cleaning it all out it has that indentation. It must of been there for years.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #27

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It may have just been in there for so long that it rubbed the indentation into it instead if pressing it in.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
What did u clean urs up with? I was told u can use the hopes #9 solivent. But there are a lot of diff ways I guess. I'm still waiting to find a good and cheap way to do it.
I bought a gallon of purple super clean basically dollar store degreaser stripped everything and let it soak which worked great used a tooth brush on reciever then cleaned with hoppes 9 to remove degreaser then used a coat of rem-oil on top to prevent rusting ill use white lithium grease on bolt before i shoot it

Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
It may have just been in there for so long that it rubbed the indentation into it instead if pressing it in.
Now am I going to have a problem with it. Or does it not matter? It's not feel but u can see it perfect.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Now am I going to have a problem with it. Or does it not matter? It's not deep but u can see it perfect.