1942 91/30 mosin nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 1942 91/30 mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1942 91/30 mosin nagant

So I just purchased my first nagant at the gun show today. Spent a hundred bucks, and by the looks I'm happy. But cupple questions. It seems to be all greased up. I mean its on everything. Can I take it or most of it off? Will it effect the rifle? Second, it seems the barrel is a tad bit loose. And I mean just a tad. The wood on top of The barrel is loose so The barrel moves a slight bit. Should I be worried? And is there any way to find out where its been. All four serial numbers match, barrel, butt, bolt and the bottom of the clip. Paid a hundred flat and its now in my name. Don't know if it was a good deal but big 5 wanted 120 for there's. Any info is appreciated. And as always, Thx.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Here ya go...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-clean-up-50737/

Lots of ways to clean 'er up but JPyle put a lot of work into this thread for us. BTW, you'll probably never get all the cosmoline off, it'll come creeping out of the crevices as it heats up when you shoot it.

Is the barrel itself moving or just the wooden handguard? The barrel screws into the reciever, if you have ANY doubts, have it looked at before you shoot.

Did it come with all the goodies too? Mag pouches, sling, bayonet, cleaning kit? If so, make sure you check the firing pin protrusion with the multitool...VERY IMPORTANT!! I'll put some links up for ya too...welcome to your new affliction....MOSINITIS!!!

firing pin adjustment...

bolt disasssembly...

Also, no way to find out where it's been, 99.99% that is was issued but there is no way to track it. Here's a cool site too...http://7.62x54r.net/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 01-22-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: sp

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Beat me to it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Beat me to it.
Gotta be quick, I'm all hopped up on root beer!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Congrats on the new purchase, $100 is about the going rate for a round receivered Izhevsk...some Tula made models may go for more, word of advice Mosins are addictive and will multiply if left unattended.

Heres a site with some good info:

Russian and Soviet Mosin Nagant Marks

The grease that is covering your rifle is cosmoline, it is a waxy, petroleum based preservative that the Russians used to preserve your rifle, think of it as an industrial strength K-Y. Chances are it has been sitting in storage in a warehouse or depot somewhere since the late 1940s. All of that cosmoline needs to be removed from every metal and wood surface as well as inside the barrel itself. There are many how-tos on the web and here as well. Here is one I am particularly fond of...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-clean-up-50737/

Don't worry about the loose barrel right now since you are going to be stripping the rifle down to individual parts to clean it. When you reassemble be sure that the 2 bolts through the receiver into the barrel are snugged up. The tension springs on the foregrips can be adjusted to exert additional pressure and hold the wood pieces tighter to the barrel.

About the only thing you can reliably know about your rifle is where and when it was manufactured. Unless it is a verified capture, there are really no records in existence tracing to whom and where it was issued. But, the state of the Russian Army during WWII being what it was, there is a high probability that your gun is a battle veteran.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-22-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #6

One more thing to keep in mind...if you're using mil-surp ammo, the primers are corrosive so it's important to clean it after each trip to the range. Hot soapy water and Hoppe's #9 seem to be the general consensus here.

Congrats!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I use windex, but I've recently been told I'm doing it wrong...

How soapy water and hoppes will do the job, I like the convenience of windex, but I was told the ammonia that neutralizes the corrosive salts is also corrosive. I always follow up the windex with hoppes too though.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Sux I can't find out where its been. But no I didn't get all the extras like I wanted. That was another question I had, where to get em at. And yes the barrel does move up like the size of a pens tip. Enough to barely notice. And Thx for all the links guys.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Ebay? Internet search?...I dunno...Did you get the multitool at least? If not, PM me, I have an extra I don't mind parting with (no charge). Most of the other stuff can be improvised...sans bayonet...but that multitool is mucho important. If that firing pin pokes through the primer things could get ugly...

Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Sux I can't find out where its been. But no I didn't get all the extras like I wanted. That was another question I had, where to get em at. And yes the barrel does move up like the size of a pens tip. Enough to barely notice. And Thx for all the links guys.
Here you go...

https://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-parts-accessories-mosin-nagant-rifle-parts-c-2_3.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington