Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   1929 1894 ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/1929-1894-a-54711/)

bick65 01-03-2012 08:44 PM

1929 1894 ???

1 Attachment(s)
I know the answer but I'll ask anyway the peep sight on gun is not factory ? when they installed they milled about 32nd grove to fit this to gun. If not original is it possible to fill with wield and rebelled a local gun smith says he can hide the milled slot by doing this . The rear sight is missing don't know what kind of sight winchester would have used on this gun . The saddle ring is missing as well . Here's a picture of the area in ??? Thanks for Any advice.

hiwall 01-03-2012 09:22 PM

I'd just leave it alone. Looks like a sight from that period. An original rear sight for the barrel will be $125 to $175. The slot could be filled with weld and the gun could be reblued. That would cost alot and reduce(or best case match) the current value of the gun.

towboater 01-03-2012 10:15 PM

Id not mess with it either.

Kelly-A 01-03-2012 11:37 PM

Sure it could be done

Sure it could be done , IF, that is what you so desire is to get it back to original . But like was stated , that rear sight is gonna cost ya ! :D
That peep is 100 times more accurate than any open sight is ever gonna be though and is a great addition to any lever gun . ;) I look at your gun as a Customized Lever Gun , not a mistake that needs correcting . You have to undestand one thing , even back in the day there were people and even gunsmiths doing upgrades to thier arms or other peoples arms to customize them to thier own liking , or to the customers own liking . So your upgrade is not unusual or abnormal to see , and is really a nice improvement over stock . JMHO

30-30remchester 01-04-2012 11:05 PM

I have collected old ORIGINAL antique guns for 45 years, but occasionally a modification is interesting. Along with guns and knives and ammo, I also collect old iron sites. I am not sure if I ever saw such a set up. Could you get some closer photo's to share?

hiwall 01-05-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 667618)
I have collected old ORIGINAL antique guns for 45 years, but occasionally a modification is interesting. Along with guns and knives and ammo, I also collect old iron sites. I am not sure if I ever saw such a set up. Could you get some closer photo's to share?

I too would like to see a better picture of that sight.

bick65 01-05-2012 12:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I hope the moderator has moved this to correct area . I have some more photos they were taken with iPhone not dig camera I hope they give the detail some of you folks are looking for I just got these guns after my farther passed away I would melt them down to man hole covers to have my farther back . I have pics of the 30 30 for now I hope you guys have some insight as to what I have . Thanks in advance for all answers . PS The back dovetail does not look like there was anything in no scratches the blueing is perfect. Thanks

hiwall 01-05-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks for the added pictures. Looks like it might be a Lyman sight without the base.

bick65 01-05-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
Thanks for the added pictures. Looks like it might be a Lyman sight without the base.

I take that's it's not a factory install ? The gun is accurate but the trigger pull is about a half pound way to light for my taste . If I can get rid of this flu that's kicking my butt I will shoot sat or sun .

Wambli 01-05-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 667618)

What he said. The work and rear sight look period correct and well executed so I would leave it be. Filling the slot and re-blueing will destroy any colector value and besides this was the way your dad liked it so why change it. I'd stick with that setup, maybe just get a filler for the rear sight slot on the barrel.