Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   1903 springfield sporterized (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/1903-springfield-sporterized-14164/)

killer0621 05-26-2009 08:45 AM

1903 springfield sporterized

A few years ago I bought a 1903 springfield with a sporterized stock,
I had a mount drilled init and put a scope on it. now I want to sell it for a spring field xd. I was wondering if I should spend the money to restore it to issue or sell as is? any one know a bit about this?
thanks

RL357Mag 05-26-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killer0621 (Post 109292)
A few years ago I bought a 1903 springfield with a sporterized stock,
I had a mount drilled init and put a scope on it. now I want to sell it for a spring field xd. I was wondering if I should spend the money to restore it to issue or sell as is? any one know a bit about this?
thanks

If the receiver has been drilled and tapped and the original stock is gone how do you propose to do this? I have an unfired Smith Corona A3 that has little to no collectors value simply because the original stock was traded for a MonteCarlo Walnut stock back in 1962. I can get another military stock for it, but unless the numbers match it's not a collectors piece.

ScottG 05-26-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 109297)
If the receiver has been drilled and tapped and the original stock is gone how do you propose to do this? I have an unfired Smith Corona A3 that has little to no collectors value simply because the original stock was traded for a MonteCarlo Walnut stock back in 1962. I can get another military stock for it, but unless the numbers match it's not a collectors piece.

Well, he can always find a period replacement stock, although they may be getting harder to find. Have the old sights been removed? If the sights are still there and he's just taking off a scope, it's as close as you can get anyway. Many '03s have replacement stocks anyway, they don't have serial numbers. You'll have some ugly plugged holes, but at least it will appear as issued.

Dcomf 05-26-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 109297)

I could be wrong but the US didn't serialize stocks. Most of the M1's, M1 carbines, 03's and A3's you see with serial numbers on the stock are returns from either Greece or Denmark as serializing the stock was mostly a european thing.

cpttango30 05-26-2009 07:37 PM

Sell it as is some one will get you $500 for I am sure. The 03 was a very good strong action that can be put to many good uses.

stalkingbear 05-26-2009 10:54 PM

The value all depends on the quality of the original gunsmithing that was done when sporterizing it. Once sporterized, collector's value goes out the window & is irreversible. Sell it for the sporterized rifle that it is.

RL357Mag 05-27-2009 01:16 AM

I agree with Stalkingbear - the gun is worth more as a sporter than a milspec, since it isn't milspec anymore. Plugging the scope mounting holes won't hide the fact that the receiver has been drilled and tapped. The one I inherited from my Dad is arsenal new and has never been fired. It has a beautiful Walnut MonteCarlo stock that he purchased in the 60's from JC Penny but never finished. I am going to glass bed it and have a nice accurate sporter. It will be worth more as a shooter than a collector.