Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   18 year old wanting rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/18-year-old-wanting-rifle-79890/)

trevor_atkinson 12-31-2012 05:28 AM

18 year old wanting rifle

hey there just been shooting hand guns all my life but want to by a rifle now!! what do you think is the best for fun, defense, long term, and best value?? i am thinking of AR-15 but any other suggestion and also best place to buy it??? thanks!!!

Jstrong 12-31-2012 05:52 AM

Right now your not gonna find any decent AR or any other semi-automatic rifle for that matter for a good price.

The proposed assault weapons ban has created a rush on the market and pushed prices sky-high. AR's are the worst,but all other platforms are inflated as well.

trevor_atkinson 12-31-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstrong
Right now your not gonna find any decent AR or any other semi-automatic rifle for that matter for a good price.

The proposed assault weapons ban has created a rush on the market and pushed prices sky-high. AR's are the worst,but all other platforms are inflated as well.

yes i know that im looking long term here (if ban is not passed and whn prices return to regular)

Jstrong 12-31-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_atkinson

yes i know that im looking long term here (if ban is not passed and whn prices return to regular)

Oh well then you'll be in good shape if your waiting till after the whole AWB shenanigan. If when the dust settles they weren't able to pass it,I suspect that there will be a bunch of cheap AR's that will flood the market once the non gun people who bought one out if fear realize they'll still be around later,and after their wife pesters them enough to sell that silly gun they purchased to buy her a new bathroom renovation.

But honestly man palmetto state armory was a good place to pick up a great AR for the money. But they will be back ordered all the way through next year I bet,there were plenty of places to get them before this mess but everybody has bought out all the stock that the distributors and manufactures had,and they probably won't start pumping out new ones till next week because most manufactures are closed through the holidays. And even then they are back ordered well into next year I believe.

By the way welcome to the forum! ,consider posting a thread in introductions and telling us about yourself.

trevor_atkinson 12-31-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstrong

Oh well then you'll be in good shape if your waiting till after the whole AWB shenanigan. If when the dust settles they weren't able to pass it,I suspect that there will be a bunch of cheap AR's that will flood the market once the non gun people who bought one out if fear realize they'll still be around later,and after their wife pesters them enough to sell that silly gun they purchased to buy her a new bathroom renovation.

But honestly man palmetto state armory was a good place to pick up a great AR for the money. But they will be back ordered all the way through next year I bet,there were plenty of places to get them before this mess but everybody has bought out all the stock that the distributors and manufactures had,and they probably won't start pumping out new ones till next week because most manufactures are closed through the holidays. And even then they are back ordered well into next year I believe.

By the way welcome to the forum! ,consider posting a thread in introductions and telling us about yourself.

thanks man love the site!!! and are you sugesting i buy one used and if so where do you go todo that also i am in california which sucks on gun laws so if that factors in at all??

Axxe55 12-31-2012 06:09 AM

my best advice is to sit back and wait paitiently until the frenzy dies down. my belief is, even if they do pass an AWB, it will be at least six months to a year before it will be enacted and enforced.

trevor_atkinson 12-31-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
my best advice is to sit back and wait paitiently until the frenzy dies down. my belief is, even if they do pass an AWB, it will be at least six months to a year before it will be enacted and enforced.

exactly my thoughts and plans thanks man!! but lets hope it doesn't!!!!

bigdaddy573 12-31-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

thanks man love the site!!! and are you sugesting i buy one used and if so where do you go todo that also i am in california which sucks on gun laws so if that factors in at all??

Look at pawn shops that's where I get most my guns and I see a lot of ar time to time but you have to be quick if you seen it 40 others have to and they racing for the money to get it

Jstrong 12-31-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Well if your going to wait to see if they pass the assault weapons ban and it turns out they don't,then yes I would be checking and looking for used ones after the fact.

Alot of people who bought one out of fear will most likely be trying to unload it on the cheap once they find out they won't be banned.

Armslist . com is a great place to find used guns locally,its like craiglist for guns,but don't expect to find a deal on there at the moment. You'll be overpaying by twice or three times what any AR or other semi auto is worth probably.

trevor_atkinson 12-31-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Look at pawn shops that's where I get most my guns and I see a lot of ar time to time but you have to be quick if you seen it 40 others have to and they racing for the money to get it

what wood be a good amount to spend??