.177 Pellet Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .177 Pellet Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .177 Pellet Rifle

I am looking to purchase a .177 caliber pellet rifle for my grandson to hunt small game with (squirrels, rabbits). What would be the minimum FPS to properly dispose of small game.

Thank You

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default >1000fps

1000fps. or more...
Look for break barrels instead of CO2 powered... I like the GAMO brand, I had one of those and are indestructible, reliable, long lasting, exelent craftmanship... but you could look for Crossman brand too, I had a Crossman pistol and I loved but was a CO2 and sometimes run out of gas, that's why I do prefer the break barrel... and .177(4.5mm) it's a good caliber but I still prefer the .22(5,5mm).
I hope your grandson enjoy it!
Regards.-

P.D
check: www.gamousa.com

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 01-22-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add a link...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thank You Very Much

Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why can't you get a small .22 single shot bolt action such as the Chipmunk or Crickett. They wouldn't be noticeably more than a good quality air rifle, accurate, and lightweight as well as being safe. Also the higher power air rifles are HEAVY and HARD TO COCK on the break barrel versions. Get the best you can afford in air rifles. Word of advise-use heavy, good quality pellets instead of the lighter Gamo pellets. Basically when firing the Gamo Raptor pellets, it's almost like dry firing a bow. heavy pellets will penetrate deeper and generally be more accurate.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

for an air rifle I would get him the new Crosman Benjamin Discovery PCP Air Rifle. You fill the tank with a high pressure pump that looks like a bicycle pump.

These are very popular in Europe and produce the same velocity as the break action but offer faster follow up shots if needed. I also prefer a 20 or 22 cal.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #6

And this grandson is how old? Cricket or Chipmunk or whatever it's called these days is designed for Grandpa . . . The gun is too small for most kids over the age of 8 -- which is the age where I'd be thinking about introducing a kid to shooting a 22 cal.

Marlin makes the 915Y -- scaled down single shot bolt action. I picked up one used for $99. But wouldn't let any kid have any sort of rifle . . . BB gun, etc. until he's about 14. Unless with adult supervision during the possession and use.