Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .177 Air Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .177 Air Rifle

Hi Guys,

I am trying to purchase an air rifle and don't really know much about guns at all.

Basically what I'm after is a low powered rifle for approx $250AUS.

From what I've read about I would be after something firing at approx 700fps.

Some brands I have seen are El Gamo, Diana and Bam- would you suggest any of these?

Would love some ideas.

Cheers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Why not head on over to the introduction thread and say hi to the gang...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I purchased a .177 caliber Gamo "Varmint Hunter" model earlier this year to clean out an infestation of "long furry tailed rats" that had taken up residence in my attic. The Gamo came with an adequate scope and a laser. The air rifle was more than up to the task, and I dispatched about 15 of the critters in my back yard (at the bird feeders) until we could no longer hear evidence of their continued residence in the house.

My house is in a subdivision where the houses are set very close together. The standard Gamo will shoot a standard lead pellet at 1,000 FPS, and will achieve 1,200 FPS with the "special" (copper?) coated pellets. The muzzle noise on firing the standard 1,000 FPS lead pellets was surpisingly loud, to the point where I had to be a bit careful when I was "hunting" in the back yard. Some neighbors may not have appreciated what I was doing. Also Texas has a hunting season for these long furry tailed rats, and this action wasn't in that season.

If I had to do it all over agin, I would have spent a bit more money on the Gamo "Whisper Series", these have something of a diffuser/silencer at the end of the barrel, and supposedly dampen the muzzle noise quite a bit.

I am impressed with the quality of the GAMO product, and it is an accurate air rifle. I would recommend it to anyone.

TXnorton

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look this page over it pretty much covers about all your options Air guns, BB Guns, Pellet Guns and Air Rifles from Crosman, Gamo, Walther and Beeman - PyramydAir.com I have a Beeman R-1 in .177 cal. New now days it would run about $700 US but I've had it many year cost me $125.

Mine shoots about 1000+ fps I use it out on the pond dam to shoot muskrats digging holes in the dam,neighbors don't mind me shooting I just use it to keep things safe and it kills them just as dead.

Check out the site they rate all the air guns on there.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Well, depends on what you want to do with it- The Gamos and Beemans are excellent guns- but if you are looking for cheap plinking/ pest control/ hunting small game, you may want to take a look at the Sheridan. I have a Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm (20 caliber) Accuracy and power are more than adequate to take squirrels at 40 yards- and the price is a LOT less.

For SERIOUS target competition, it is not the gun. But the close range accuracy of even the hunting grade weapons is surprising.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I picked up a Ruger Air Hawk .177 pellet rifle that came with scope a couple of years ago for a Pidgeon infestation problem. I believe it was about $130.00 USD at the time. 1000 fps does make some noise.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #7

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Diana?Is that the RWS Diana by chance?Rws make great airguns.I had the 350 magnum .22 1050fps and it was great.