Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   12mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/12mm-35801/)

antsparks 12-19-2010 07:36 PM

12mm

Can any one tell me where to find info on a single shot 12mm shot gun. it was made in France. On the side it says "Manufacture Stephanoise D'Armes J. Gaucher. Gaucher merged with Bretton and became Bretton-Gaucher, but this gun doesnt have anything relating to Bretton any where on it. I'm trying to estimate a value so I know what to price it for but dont want to pay $30 for an appraisel. By the way its a bolt action.

cpttango30 12-19-2010 08:02 PM

As much as someone will pay for it.

12mm would be an odd size for a shotgun. As a 410 is 12.4mm in diameter.

Davyboy 12-19-2010 08:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It is quite common in continental countries to call .410 12mm. Does it look like this.

Davyboy 12-19-2010 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry better pic

JonM 12-19-2010 09:19 PM

gaucher firearms were very limited importation in the US by a company called mandell shooting supplies in scottsdale az. they made a 12mm / .410 bore.

check the bore for rifling if its rifled its prolly for 410 slugs.

bretton-gaucher no longer exports to the US. they are not sought after in the US but are rare in the US due to import/export laws. there is some mention of sound suppression integral to the firearm which is liekly why they are not imported, but there is no hard info i could find about that. if it does have some sort of built in sound supression you may have trouble selling it legally as class 2 rules would apply.

antsparks 12-21-2010 02:54 AM

It does look like the picture except mine is in better condition and doesnt have the indention in the fore stock.. I tried 410 ammo and its to long. I cut part of the shell away to see if it fit, and it slid up to the brass but the brass doesnt fit. Thanks a million for the info. Do you think the fact that its no longer imported makes it more valuable or less? Next step is locating shells. No luck yet. If anyone runs across any please let me know where.

JonM 12-21-2010 03:18 AM

a raw guess prolly less. because they werent popular or historical.

some things that drive value is desireability/popularity/history. rarity is not neccessarily a 1 to 1 correlation with value. a good way to determine rarity as a factor in price is how many were originally produced and then sold compaired to how many still exist in very good condition.

comic books are a good example. in the 40's to 70's lots of comics were produced most were purchased abused enjoyed eaten destroyed etc. those children grew up and in adulthood clamored for the good ole days so in the 80's comic values of early books shot thru the roof. the comic industry took note misjudged and waaaay overprinted. lots of people in the 80's and 90's bought multiple copies took care of their books so "limited" editions still to this day of the 80'/90's comics are worth more as recycled paper than comics at the moment.

guns like very old colts and very early rugers follow that same early comics mode of popularity abuse destruction history desireabilty for nostalgia.

all that being said your rifle may be worth money. just dont be shocked if its not.

canebrake 12-21-2010 03:49 AM

Put it up for sale as a .50 cal. :o

antsparks 12-21-2010 05:01 AM

4-SALE French made 410 Minus .5mm. Single shot bolt action. Great for shooting through paper if U can find ammo for it. If not its a great paper weight able to hold down several pages at once(WallStreet Journal readers take note). $120.00 :) Oh well.. Thanks guys

frenchnra 12-29-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 405923)
As much as someone will pay for it.

12mm would be an odd size for a shotgun. As a 410 is 12.4mm in diameter.

In France .410 is also called 12 mm magnum.
.410 is a 12 mm X 76 mm long ... (12 mm x 3")

It is for shooting birds at 20 meters ...