1000 yard guns? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 1000 yard guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I have one in a Ruger #1 with a Douglas medium weight premium barrel.

I have chronographed a 190 grain Sierra MatchKing boat tail at 2850 feet per second with IMR 4831 powder. When you shoot 1,000 yards, you need to take into account trajectory and wind drift - both being equal problems.
@ that range you must also consider the Magnus Effect (SPIN DRIFT). on a right handed barrel, the drift will be up and to the right.
speaking of wind drift, paying attention to the mirage effects (from rifle to target) can be accounted for also.

BOTH OF THE EFFECTS THAT I MENTIONED DEPEND ON THE RIFLE AND GRAIN WEIGHT OF THE PROJECTILE FIRED. HEAVIER PROJECTILE = BETTER WIND DRIFT STABILITY

just my $.02

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #32

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
@ that range you must also consider the Magnus Effect (SPIN DRIFT). on a right handed barrel, the drift will be up and to the right.
speaking of wind drift, paying attention to the mirage effects (from rifle to target) can be accounted for also.

BOTH OF THE EFFECTS THAT I MENTIONED DEPEND ON THE RIFLE AND GRAIN WEIGHT OF THE PROJECTILE FIRED. HEAVIER PROJECTILE = BETTER WIND DRIFT STABILITY

just my $.02
Used to look at wind indications from flags, grass, etc.. only. Last several months back up these these wind indications with mirage effects in scope and it has made score points improve. Mirage is good.

Averageing with 190 SMK's 3080 fps. (long barrel) Spin drift seems to diminish just past 300 yards.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-24-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #33

you shouldn't, technically, have any until approximately the 800yd and on mark:

The following variables affect the magnitude of gyroscopic drift:

1. Projectile or bullet length: longer projectiles experience more gyroscopic drift because they produce more lateral "lift" for a given yaw angle;
2. Spin rate: faster spin rates will produce more gyroscopic drift because the nose ends up pointing farther to the side;
3. Range, time of flight and trajectory height: gyroscopic drift increases with all of these variables.

VERY LOW-DRAG BULLETS @ 1000YDS.
According to the "drift" chart, @ 1Kyds = approximately 3.00 inches of drift with 190gr LRBT J40 Match ammo in .308;
however, there is NO trend or pattern to spin drift: 7.75 inches of drift with 220gr SMK ammo in .308. CLICK HERE TO GO THAT CHART - External ballistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i was wrong earlier.........spin drift and the magnus effect are separate factors acting on a projectile.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc

Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullranger View Post
Hey everybody, im relativly new to shooting, only own a few guns and i was wondering, what guns can be acurate at a thousand yards, or if they can lol. If there are, what is a reliable and affordable one? Im hopeing for about a 1500 dollar rifle, but then again i have no idea about these rifle prices.
Ohh yeah im looking to target shoot, not hunt with this gun, i would like either bolt or semi auto rifle. Thanks in advance for any help
thats a hell of a distance for most guns an ar15 is right in your price range but its max effect range is only 800 yards you need a 50bmg for that distance most of them arewell above your price range but theyre are bolt actions for down to 1200$

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therevolutionist762x39 View Post
thats a hell of a distance for most guns an ar15 is right in your price range but its max effect range is only 800 yards you need a 50bmg for that distance most of them arewell above your price range but theyre are bolt actions for down to 1200$
While i do agree with you about the O.P. needing an AR-15, i disagree with you on just about everything else you just stated. 1000 yards is a long way but with practice and the right equipment making hits is as easy as that chick with daddy issues. Even .223 is still practical as a target cartridge at 1k when loaded properly, and fired out of the right weapon. You do not need a 50 bmg for target shooting.....at any distance!!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Even .223 is still practical as a target cartridge at 1k when loaded properly, and fired out of the right weapon. You do not need a 50 bmg for target shooting.....at any distance!!

+1000............i agree whole heartedly with this statement. a .308, .30-06, .300, .338, and on, and on are ALL good thousand yard rifles.