1000 yard guns?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 1000 yard guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1000 yard guns?

Hey everybody, im relativly new to shooting, only own a few guns and i was wondering, what guns can be acurate at a thousand yards, or if they can lol. If there are, what is a reliable and affordable one? Im hopeing for about a 1500 dollar rifle, but then again i have no idea about these rifle prices.
Ohh yeah im looking to target shoot, not hunt with this gun, i would like either bolt or semi auto rifle. Thanks in advance for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have a place where you can shoot that far?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Lon has a good point. Do you have a thousand yard range in your neck of the woods?

Next I would recommend a couple of books. Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster, Sniper and Sniper II by Lonsdale.

Both of them will tell you A LOT about shooting at extreme ranges.

No semi auto, regardless of maker, is going to get you sub MOA groups at such extreme ranges without a $10K price tag to start.

How much do you know about long range shooting?

JD

Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #4

Yeah i have a place where i could shot that far, the most ive ever shot is about 3hundred yards with some sorta 7mm rifle(i have no idea what model, what scope it had, or if it was a magnum) so i really dont have much long range experience. I really just want to be able to i guess, so do i need some special rifle, or just learn how to shoot a normal one better?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #5

Start with a bolt action 30-06 with a variable 10X scope. Get good at breaking clay pigeons at 400 yards then try 1000 yards.

Use 180 gr bt hp's if you can get them. Cheap ammo will waste your money and time. And you'll have to try several brands. This process is the same no matter what gun or caliber you choose.

If you like the 1000 yard thing you can rework the rifle or go to a magmun or a larger caliber maybe. If you don't, you've got an excellent all around rifle.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's no problem to get a rifle that will reach out to 1,000 yards. Getting that same rifle to HIT at that range is another matter. What's the most hard however is gaining the ability to shoot AND hit at that range-especially if it's an odd & unmarked yardage.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It's no problem to get a rifle that will reach out to 1,000 yards. Getting that same rifle to HIT at that range is another matter. What's the most hard however is gaining the ability to shoot AND hit at that range-especially if it's an odd & unmarked yardage.
Haha yeah i should have be more specific, i want to be able to hit bullseys at onethousand yards, and i want to know what guns can do it so that im not wasting my time trying to hit it with a gun not even capable of it( like my little .243...) I know a few people, well just 2 that were snipers in the military that would probly be able to help me out, but i dont really know them to good, so im asking you people.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2302 View Post
Start with a bolt action 30-06 with a variable 10X scope. Get good at breaking clay pigeons at 400 yards then try 1000 yards.

Use 180 gr bt hp's if you can get them. Cheap ammo will waste your money and time. And you'll have to try several brands. This process is the same no matter what gun or caliber you choose.

If you like the 1000 yard thing you can rework the rifle or go to a magmun or a larger caliber maybe. If you don't, you've got an excellent all around rifle.
So a 30~06 can get consistant 1000 yard hits, if so my dad has a few i could try out, but we definantly dont have any 10x scopes, you have any recomended scopes?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

first off take up reloading. your going to have to shoot a lot to get it down. and buying that much ammo in target grade off the shelf is hardly cheap. off the shelf ammo doesnt cut it for extreme long range. 30-06 is a good comfortable round with plenty of capacity for long range shooting. 300win mag is popular but its not fun to shoot and tend to wear out the barrels faster

the scope is really really important and so is a good spotting scope.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #10

alright, well i just checked out my scope and its actually better than i thought! It says 2.5 to 10 power, and ive just used the lowest setting(2.5) for 100 to 200 yards. lol i didnt knlow it zoomed in more. So could i use this scope on a 30~06 (it s on a 243 right now) and hit that 1000 yard target? Ohh yeah what 30~06 would you guys recommend, i dont want some cheap gun, but not anything super duper expensive either.