Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple of hundred rounds through mine and it seems fine. The only trouble I have had was that it would not feed steel case ammo at all. Would not go into battery. I found that out on the range where I should find things like that out. Changed to better ammo and have not had an issue since. I would never suggest a small .380 like this or the Rugar to a novice as they are a lot to handle but it does give me the groups I would need to get the job done. Perhaps I will find bad things to say about it later but so far I have no issues

Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i bought one at buds gun shop in lexington, was looking at it, and before i got out the door the laser stopped working. needless to say, i didnt keep it

Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1271 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

My S&W Bodyguard has been with me for a year, and I carry it a lot and shoot it a little, a couple of mags a month. I've never had a problem with it, but I'm careful to clean and lube it after every session. I use Break Free CLP, which seems to do OK for it. It is a little tricky getting the "takedown latch" reinserted when reassembling it, but not a major problem. I haven't used the laser much, and it still works OK. My thought on the lasers is that maybe the gun has sat in the dealer's shop for a while and the battery has run down. Or, maybe customers and/or employees pick up the gun and play with the laser and use up the battery before it is sold.
My BG 380 is in my pocket nearly all the time, even when I carry a bigger piece.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Come on, the world isn't perfect.....I know a lot of people with the bodyguard, good pistol.

Rule # 1 check your ****. stuff happens, don't wait until you decide to shoot it 6 months later or when ever.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Come on, the world isn't perfect.....I know a lot of people with the bodyguard, good pistol.

Rule # 1 check your ****. stuff happens, don't wait until you decide to shoot it 6 months later or when ever.
A gun that is meant for self defense and is relied upon for that purpose should not fail after 1 shot after you have put only 250 rounds through it. I have seen good samples of the gun and bad ones of course. Similar to the keltec. A firearm should not fall apart like the .380 did, poor craftsmanship and made in china plastic.

Have some pride on your work and be proud to put your mark there.

As you said, check your stuff always!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight73 View Post
i bought one at buds gun shop in Lexington, was looking at it, and before i got out the door the laser stopped working. needless to say, i didn't keep it
Yes my father's laser stopped working within 1 month... 1 MONTH

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1271 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
My S&W Bodyguard has been with me for a year, and I carry it a lot and shoot it a little, a couple of mags a month. I've never had a problem with it, but I'm careful to clean and lube it after every session. I use Break Free CLP, which seems to do OK for it. It is a little tricky getting the "takedown latch" reinserted when reassembling it, but not a major problem. I haven't used the laser much, and it still works OK. My thought on the lasers is that maybe the gun has sat in the dealer's shop for a while and the battery has run down. Or, maybe customers and/or employees pick up the gun and play with the laser and use up the battery before it is sold.
My BG 380 is in my pocket nearly all the time, even when I carry a bigger piece.
To further explain my position on this, I carry the Bodyguard for one reason: It can go undetected in my front pants pocket. If I could hide a .44 mag Desert Eagle in my pocket, that is what I'd be putting there.
On the subject of the guns coming apart when fired, it may sometimes be due to the tricky reassembly procedure. If the takedown latch is not inserted EXACTLY right, it may appear that it is OK, but it won't be holding the barrel and frame together. Then when the slide retracts, the barrel, being loose, may come flying out of the frame, and the slide may come flying off the rails.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #18

Default Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap

I am interested in purchasing a S&w big brother .380 but I hate the safety, I am a lefty and it is awkward to operate and if you had to fire in a pressure situation it would suck.
Can you get the safety switched from left to right side?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by jackdaw; 06-10-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #19
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3089 Times on 2096 Posts
Likes Given: 657

You mean you can't fit a Desert Eagle in your shorts???

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 920 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 228

You are trusting a couple things here, in your choice of a firearm for personal protection.

A lightweight, tiny tiny tiny gun,
no real capacity, and
a .380 to create deadly force to stop a threat.

Get Dad a Glock 19, or a 6906

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545276

and make sure he shoots a box of fifty every week, practicing at the range.

Give him a Basic Pistol, Personal Protection In The Home, and Personal Protection Outside The Home classes.

Go with him at the classes, take them with him.