Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Smith and wesson bodyguard 380 piece of crap

This gun could have killed my father. We bought this gun about 8 months ago new from a gun shop. It worked fine and then after a few trips to the range, the takedown lever siezed, making the gun unable to field strip it. The lasers also went out after around 50 rounds. The firearm was the concealed weapon my father carried all the time. So today we went to the range and the first shot, the gun broke. The cap on the laser seperated and caused the slide to lock up. The gun was totally unusable. Had my father had to of used this against a bad guy, he most likely would have been killed/robbed/you get the idea. So we sent it back so smith and wesson for $30 to fix it. What a piece of crap... The shops gunsmith was able to get the lever to work and the gun was stripped. Never again...

THIS IS WHY YOU GO TO THE RANGE OFTEN AND TEST YOJR GUNS.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3273 Times on 2226 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Sorry to hear this! Did you take a photo of the Gun in a Damaged State? I'm sure if you posted that photo on some Boards, as well as here, You';d get a MUCH quicker Response from S&W. Guns Break all the time, but S&W has been called out on QC issues just Like Other Makers....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Sorry to hear this! Did you take a photo of the Gun in a Damaged State? I'm sure if you posted that photo on some Boards, as well as here, You';d get a MUCH quicker Response from S&W. Guns Break all the time, but S&W has been called out on QC issues just Like Other Makers....

They have good CS, but for real... my father relied on that gun if he needed to defend him or his. First shot went off, the next round jammed on the ramp because the plastic broke into the recoil slring cut out

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Liked 304 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I don't trust a gun for self defense until I have shot several hundred rounds of various ammo through it. I know some people who will shoot one or two mags and deem the gun GTG.

Sorry about you Dad's gun. S&W was very helpful when I had trouble with a gun, think they paid shipping both ways. That gun was just having feeding issues, was not a broken gun like your Dad's. Odd.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1856 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 682

I usually put 250 rounds through any gun before I trust it to do anything beside kill zombie cans.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Eagle1803 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

When I was looking at pocket .380s I tried one of the Bodyguards, and read several reviews. I got turned off from the reviews, and the way the laser was set up.

I ended up going with an LCP from Ruger instead. Seemed like a simpler system. A laser was an add on. Some of the LCPs had issues with peening of the barrel hood, that could cause the gun to begin hanging up in cycling. I chose to just take a polishing stone and barely radius the very edge if the barrel hood to prevent the peening from becoming an issue. It has been a good little pistol, even though it is not the most enjoyable to shoot. I've run a lot of FMJs through it at the range as well as MagTech HP, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, and PDX1.

These poker guns were meant to be carried a lot and shot very little, but I have the same philosophy, that reliability has to be proven over time and trial.

In retrospect, after shooting my friends SIG .380, I should have saved up and bought one of them. The best feeling pocket .380 with the most useable sights. Not cheap by any means, but dang, it's a sweet shooter and made to be shot more than most pocket guns.

Sorry about the problems with your Fathers pistol. I'm sure S&W will make it right.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3273 Times on 2226 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Yeah, have to agree on that. I think I put 200 through the LC9 the first trip to the Range after I bought it.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Sorry about the gun. On the bright side, no one was hurt and you found the problem before it COULD hurt anyone.

Keep us posted on how Smith fixes it. And how long they take to do so and whatnot. Good luck.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
When I was looking at pocket .380s I tried one of the Bodyguards, and read several reviews. I got turned off from the reviews, and the way the laser was set up.

I ended up going with an LCP from Ruger instead. Seemed like a simpler system. A laser was an add on. Some of the LCPs had issues with peening of the barrel hood, that could cause the gun to begin hanging up in cycling. I chose to just take a polishing stone and barely radius the very edge if the barrel hood to prevent the peening from becoming an issue. It has been a good little pistol, even though it is not the most enjoyable to shoot. I've run a lot of FMJs through it at the range as well as MagTech HP, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, and PDX1.

These poker guns were meant to be carried a lot and shot very little, but I have the same philosophy, that reliability has to be proven over time and trial.

In retrospect, after shooting my friends SIG .380, I should have saved up and bought one of them. The best feeling pocket .380 with the most useable sights. Not cheap by any means, but dang, it's a sweet shooter and made to be shot more than most pocket guns.

Sorry about the problems with your Fathers pistol. I'm sure S&W will make it right.
Awesome post. the guy behind the counter today pulled both the lcp and the sig to show us. I told my dad 8 months ago to buy the ruger...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
I don't trust a gun for self defense until I have shot several hundred rounds of various ammo through it. I know some people who will shoot one or two mags and deem the gun GTG.

Sorry about you Dad's gun. S&W was very helpful when I had trouble with a gun, think they paid shipping both ways. That gun was just having feeding issues, was not a broken gun like your Dad's. Odd.
People need to take the time to break-in a new firearm before relying on it.