Sigma - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Sigma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60mg View Post
I have been shooting a sw9ve for the past 5 years and had 2 jams during all this time. Both cases - questionable ammo. I had a trigger spring kit replaced to drop it to 8lb pull. Still tougher than M&P but 4 lb lighter than it came to me. One more thing is the trigger itself. If I'm at the class setting where I have to shoot a lot and for a few hours, the trigger keeps on catching my trigger finger between the tip of it and the trigger guard. When you just start the session it's all good but after a while it starts hurting you. I've been looking for a way to trim the trigger just a tiny bit just to take that sharp edge off but haven't gotten as far as actually doing it. Otherwise it's a great gun especially with a lighter trigger.
Quote:
Longer pull is just a habit to develop
Yup----
Pretty happy with my 9ve--It just stays in my truck but that says a lot for it if ya knew me

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Some people have been purchasing the steel cased ammo (in some areas still, that is all that is available).

The problems I've had so far with steel cases:
1. Overall accuracy is okay, but not great.
2. The coating will cause jams if fired in a gun that has gotten warmed up. The coating kind of melts and creates FTE and FTF jams.

One should use quality ammo for the first 200-300 rounds to preclude ammo problems during break in period. Reloads should not be shot (possible warranty void).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW, I just got off the phone with S&W customer service rep. The reason for my call was the story people here and there keep on mentioning that they got parts directly from S&W to fix trigger pull - make it lighter. Here is the answer from the rep to me today. "We won't touch Sigma on that issue. Some states have that gun on a list of firearms which mandatory have to have trigger pull set to 10lb at least with Massachusetts being one of them." What a bummer especially considering that new Sigma and the bigger cousin (M&P ) doesn't have that issue.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The "Sigma" is found in several flavors. F, C, V, E, VE. It seems the triggers got worse the further along they went. I have a .40 C and a 9 V. The V has a noticibly rougher/heavier trigger than the C. I have handled some VE's that had REALLY CRAPPY triggers.

The really early F and C models iin .40 had problems with chambering anything but "perfect" ammo. These were the first guns made in .40 S&W and the engineers goofed on the tolerances. S&W replaced the barrels on these (and fired the engineer responsible). Serial # prefixes PAA and PAB were affected by this.

Because they have very light weight frames they can be prone to limp wristing. IMO, 95% of the reliability issues can be solved with a firm grip. The problem is they are marketed to novice shooters who do not know how to properly grip an auto loading pistol.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #15

Liked 136 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I got stuck with one of these. Boy does it suck. Jams constantly. Why are these things such POS?
Send me a PM if you want to sell it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The absolute biggest cause of malfunctions with ANY light weight framed auto loading pistol is LIMP WRISTING. You must HOLD THE GUN. If it is jumping around like from legs in a frying pan, you will have problems (said the guy with bear paws).

Many females have issues with polymer framed pistols, especially in .40. That is a lively round and requires a firm grip.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball