Sdve .40 trigger question legal? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Sdve .40 trigger question legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I like the m&p trigger pull weight, and reset, I'd just like to take the "grit" out of the take up. They have nice factory triggers for a carry gun

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1263 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.
S&W will send a kit for free to shorten the length of the trigger pull and lighten the trigger. In general trigger jobs lower the value of a pistol. Get the free kit from S&W.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.
Will your acquittal or conviction depend on that one point? No. It is merely part of the picture the prosecution will try to paint for the jury. Trials and lawsuits are won by the person that hires the better storyteller. If you have a sharp defense lawyer he could probably paint you as a saint because you changed the trigger. After all, doesn't a lighter trigger make you more accurate? That has got to reduce the risk to bystanders.

It's all a game to be played by the pros. Unfortunately, you would be the pawn in that game.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
S&W will send a kit for free to shorten the length of the trigger pull and lighten the trigger. In general trigger jobs lower the value of a pistol. Get the free kit from S&W.
if you would, please post some sort of reference, link or proof that a trigger job lowers the value of a pistol.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #15

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
I don't think anyone can cite an example or law regarding an altered trigger on a SD or target pistol - and they could be used interchangeably. But there are some clever lawyers who know how to word phrases to make it sound like you did this with intent or advantage of killing someone.

I would just indicate I would never want to miss and hit an unintended object behind my target - same with improved sights.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #16

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
S&W will send a kit for free to shorten the length of the trigger pull and lighten the trigger...Get the free kit from S&W.
I am interested in this. I sent S&W an email asking. I'll post back what I hear from them.

If possible do you have a link with details?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

As long as you intended to shoot the person shot and were justified in doing so, what is the problem? It really does not matter one iota if the trigger pull is 2lbs or 20 lbs.

If you have an oops and shoot someone who did not deserve to be shot, once again it really does not matter what the trigger pull is. A bad shoot is a bad shoot.

And, trigger job reducing the value of the gun? Really? I think not. A butchered trigger job that renders the gun unreliable will reduce the value.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think we've all heard horror stories about people in legal battles after a justified shooting. Just think how many more problems George Zimmerman would have had if they had pointed out that he had modified his trigger to make the gun "easier" to shoot... Lord the media would have had a field day with that one!

"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kem1139 View Post
I think we've all heard horror stories about people in legal battles after a justified shooting. Just think how many more problems George Zimmerman would have had if they had pointed out that he had modified his trigger to make the gun "easier" to shoot... Lord the media would have had a field day with that one!
please site some links or sources where a modified pistol has had any bearingon the outcome of a case of a SD shooting.

a while back on another thread, we discussed this very subject. also the debate in using reloaded ammo vs. factory ammo was discussed. many of us couldn't find any cases where it was a factor in any justified SD shooting.

so if you know of some. please provide some proof. we would really like to see where it was factor and was used in deciding guilt or innocence.

IOW's as we found out, more internet myths rearing their ugly heads.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #20

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
please site some links or sources where a modified pistol has had any bearingon the outcome of a case of a SD shooting. a while back on another thread, we discussed this very subject. also the debate in using reloaded ammo vs. factory ammo was discussed. many of us couldn't find any cases where it was a factor in any justified SD shooting. so if you know of some. please provide some proof. we would really like to see where it was factor and was used in deciding guilt or innocence. IOW's as we found out, more internet myths rearing their ugly heads.
Don't ever underestimate the power of a highly motivated attorney in finding fault in a lose of life, no matter how justifiable it was! I think trigger tampering might be more of a player in an accidental shooting as insurance company's would explore all avenues not to pay a huge settlement. For me, there is to many factory choices in guns(triggers) for me to start tampering with Triggers!! All my guns are bought to carry and if I'm not comfortable with the Trigger, shame on me for buying it in the first place. But that's just me!!