Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Sdve .40 trigger question legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Default Sdve .40 trigger question legal?

Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As far as I know, it is NOT illegal to lighten a trigger pull. BUT it might be brought up if you were to ever find yourself in court. That might hurt you.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit and wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Enjoy the current discussion on the subject:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-modifications-court-94959/

Short answer: Typical common mods shouldn't be a problem. However there are no guarantees in life.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-09-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

No there's nothing illegal about a trigger job unless you make it full auto or something. Just e careful to make sure everything is installed exactly right. There was a thread about a trigger job to a Glock that caused some pretty bad problems when a spring collapsed and caused an unwanted discharge.

Personally I don't like changing the whole trigger set up but will lighten the striker spring. But that's jsut me. If I can get them down a little to make them easier to shoot then I'm good. But they sell a lot of those kits so they must be doing something right.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

For me, the spring kit made me far more accurate. So I don't see how that could be a bad thing. Not like I made it a 2lb pull or anything.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20054 Times on 11406 Posts
Likes Given: 50594

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.
depends on it's usage. illegal. probably not. but if it's a carry pistol, IMO, very unwise. range use only. go for it.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
depends on it's usage. illegal. probably not. but if it's a carry pistol, IMO, very unwise. range use only. go for it.
I agree---
Practice with it--Adapt to the gun- Don't adapt a CCW to make it easier on you-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #8

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would not modify any trigger on a gun, especially if it was an everyday carry weapon! People do it everyday, but not me! To many to choose from that has adequate triggers. In my opinion, to much to risk, if you and your gun end up in court!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20054 Times on 11406 Posts
Likes Given: 50594

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I would not modify any trigger on a gun, especially if it was an everyday carry weapon! People do it everyday, but not me! To many to choose from that has adequate triggers. In my opinion, to much to risk, if you and your gun end up in court!
and many of those pistols have a heavy trigger pull because they know that many are going to carry them.

i agree. any pistol a person might carry should never be modified. instead find a pistol with a better trigger if needed.
kem1139 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes it doesn't make sense to me! People spend crazy money on there " dream gun" and spend almost as much in modifications, trigger, sights, grips and so on! Makes you wonder why it was such a "dream gun" I made the mistake of buying a gun on sight without shooting it first, mainly cause of great reviews and beautiful looks! After shooting and carrying for a month, I came to the conclusion, there was absolutely nothing I liked about the gun. Instead of spending a fortune in modifications, I soon sold it, swallowed a small loss and bought something that fit my personal preferences out of the box! It's like a new car, if I'm not happy driving it off the lot, I've made a poor investment in my opinion.