Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Smith & Wesson Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   Sdve .40 trigger question legal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/sdve-40-trigger-question-legal-94997/)

cblowe13 08-05-2013 07:54 AM

Sdve .40 trigger question legal?

Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.

antikythera 08-08-2013 09:11 PM

As far as I know, it is NOT illegal to lighten a trigger pull. BUT it might be brought up if you were to ever find yourself in court. That might hurt you.

Overkill0084 08-08-2013 09:16 PM

Enjoy the current discussion on the subject:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-modifications-court-94959/

Short answer: Typical common mods shouldn't be a problem. However there are no guarantees in life.

DrumJunkie 08-08-2013 09:59 PM

No there's nothing illegal about a trigger job unless you make it full auto or something. Just e careful to make sure everything is installed exactly right. There was a thread about a trigger job to a Glock that caused some pretty bad problems when a spring collapsed and caused an unwanted discharge.

Personally I don't like changing the whole trigger set up but will lighten the striker spring. But that's jsut me. If I can get them down a little to make them easier to shoot then I'm good. But they sell a lot of those kits so they must be doing something right.

hamiltonjayson 10-09-2013 03:48 AM

For me, the spring kit made me far more accurate. So I don't see how that could be a bad thing. Not like I made it a 2lb pull or anything.

Axxe55 10-09-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1326662)
Is it legal if used in sd to have a trigger that has been lightened? I was wanting to get the apex spring kit but heard it could hurt you in the long run.

depends on it's usage. illegal. probably not. but if it's a carry pistol, IMO, very unwise. range use only. go for it.

HOSSFLY 10-13-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1396220)
depends on it's usage. illegal. probably not. but if it's a carry pistol, IMO, very unwise. range use only. go for it.

I agree---
Practice with it--Adapt to the gun- Don't adapt a CCW to make it easier on you-

mahall 11-10-2013 03:00 AM

I would not modify any trigger on a gun, especially if it was an everyday carry weapon! People do it everyday, but not me! To many to choose from that has adequate triggers. In my opinion, to much to risk, if you and your gun end up in court!

Axxe55 11-10-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1427641)
I would not modify any trigger on a gun, especially if it was an everyday carry weapon! People do it everyday, but not me! To many to choose from that has adequate triggers. In my opinion, to much to risk, if you and your gun end up in court!

and many of those pistols have a heavy trigger pull because they know that many are going to carry them.

i agree. any pistol a person might carry should never be modified. instead find a pistol with a better trigger if needed.

mahall 11-10-2013 06:28 AM

Yes it doesn't make sense to me! People spend crazy money on there " dream gun" and spend almost as much in modifications, trigger, sights, grips and so on! Makes you wonder why it was such a "dream gun" I made the mistake of buying a gun on sight without shooting it first, mainly cause of great reviews and beautiful looks! After shooting and carrying for a month, I came to the conclusion, there was absolutely nothing I liked about the gun. Instead of spending a fortune in modifications, I soon sold it, swallowed a small loss and bought something that fit my personal preferences out of the box! It's like a new car, if I'm not happy driving it off the lot, I've made a poor investment in my opinion.