You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum >

S7W slide cutting hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 539 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default S7W slide cutting hand

Son in law has a few revolvers. Got his first semi auto recently.
I should have wet with him. Practices excellent safety.
It is a S&W 9mm. Doesn't weigh anything with a plastic receiver.
Though he would improve his accuracy 2 hand hold.
Slide cam back and bit him big time on web of left hand.
Several stitches lots of blood.
I often wondered about all the Police shows etc withe stilted 2 hand hold.
I have Colt, Delta Elite 10mm and I had to put a bevertail grip safety on it. It would abrade my hand especially on a second and third shot. I just shoot one hand.
He has rather large hands and that may have contributed to it.
I have looked at some other semi autos but not attracted to Glocks etc because, well their plastic but the recoil and no real beaver tail like extension of the frame or receiver.
Anyone have a technique for 2 hand that won't bite you?
Believe the next one will be Kimber with the short barrel, laser etc.
Nephew has one in 45. Only one I've fired on target and grouped well, out of the box.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5932 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 3070

Not sure which S&W it is but if it's the bodyguard it is very insecure in larger hands. Gun magazines reviews usually don't focus on that. I am not surprised. A Pachmyer rubber sleeve helps me keep a better grip.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4404 Times on 2473 Posts
Likes Given: 2087

I would like to see how he was holding his hands on the firearm.

Too many revolver people place the assisting non-dominant hand in the wrong position.

I've seen where some have put the thumb behind the slide.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1398 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

I've seen where some have put the thumb behind the slide.
I did it once when I was twelve, I lesson I've never forgotten!

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 AM   #5
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 3004 Posts
Likes Given: 4279

Crossing the weak hand thumb behind the grip is sometimes used on revolvers. This shooter was mostly a revolver shooter before his mishap. He may have learned to put his thumb back there specifically to keep it away from the weak hand side of the revolver. People with long thumbs can get their thumb up near the front of the cylinder on a revolver where it can get burnt!

But if he uses that same grip with the semi-auto, slide bite is almost inevitable.

Some people call it a "flying thumbs" grip. Both thumbs are on the weak hand side of the pistol. Ends of thumbs are pointed almost upwards. They can be touching the slide itself. In fact, this can be safer than the thumbs forward grip in some cases. If the shooters thumbnails are right at the edge of the slide (as may occur with thumbs forward grip), it is possible to catch the edge of the fingernail in the slide lock notch. That is likely to peel a piece of the nail back as far as the cuticle. A painful end to a shooting session. However, most trainers teach thumbs forward and below the edge of the slide.

Regardless of which method you choose, work to be consistent with it.

File Type: jpg FlyingThumbs.jpg (5.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ThumbsForward.jpg (6.6 KB, 14 views)
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.

Last edited by Balota; 01-08-2016 at 03:15 AM.