S&W trade ins
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > S&W trade ins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default S&W trade ins

I spent four hours yesterday at GT Distributors in Austin working on some of the hundred or so 3rd generation Smith autos they aquired from an LE agency. Mostly 5906's and 6906's. The ones they could not get to function check properly were farmed out to me to "fix". I have attended the S&W armorers course on these guns and have worked on well over 200 of them over the years.

Triggers not picking up the hammer 100% of the time, stuck magazine releases, slide stops not stopping, etc. True to my experience, the #1 problem was fouling. These poor guns had NEVER been detail stripped. Wear was minimal, but varnish was the word for the day. I detail stripped and cleaned 13 and got them up and running. A couple had mainspring caps missing (parts on order). One was missing the mainspring entirely.

If you have ever wanted one of these classic pistols, they will be for sale at GT's soon.

I am going to take a couple of guns in trade for my time. I have a 1066 held with my name on it. There are a few 1st and 2nd generation guns in the mix. I am thinking about the one 645 I saw.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I spent four hours yesterday at GT Distributors in Austin working on some of the hundred or so 3rd generation Smith autos they aquired from an LE agency. Mostly 5906's and 6906's. The ones they could not get to function check properly were farmed out to me to "fix". I have attended the S&W armorers course on these guns and have worked on well over 200 of them over the years.

Triggers not picking up the hammer 100% of the time, stuck magazine releases, slide stops not stopping, etc. True to my experience, the #1 problem was fouling. These poor guns had NEVER been detail stripped. Wear was minimal, but varnish was the word for the day. I detail stripped and cleaned 13 and got them up and running. A couple had mainspring caps missing (parts on order). One was missing the mainspring entirely.

If you have ever wanted one of these classic pistols, they will be for sale at GT's soon.

I am going to take a couple of guns in trade for my time. I have a 1066 held with my name on it. There are a few 1st and 2nd generation guns in the mix. I am thinking about the one 645 I saw.
i'd love to have another 669 or 469!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #3

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Tempting... Never owned a Smith Auto but they are on my bucket list... Right behind that Hi Power I've been dreaming of.

Tack

Old 07-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I have now finished with 39 of them. Mostly fouling. A few with broken parts. I found a 5903 that looked like it had been run over by a tank. The frame was badly broken. Stripped it of all parts and used it as a donor gun. I have a few that need minor parts like the main spring cap or a sear spring, but all in all they seem pretty darn serviceable.

I have my 1066 set aside for them to enter into their FFL "book" so it can be transferred to me. I have not decided on what else to get. Maybe a 6906? Maybe I'll barter for a 65 or 66.

Many of these have been wholesaled out to Cabelas and Bud's, so keep your eyes open

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

Liked 1841 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Wait a minute. Am I understanding this right? There were cops carrying non operational guns? There was actually a cop carrying a gun without a main spring in it? Tell me it ain't so!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Could have come out of the armory after being red tagged. If you knew what jurisdiction this was, it would not surprise you. They had sme that had been converted to fire full auto! Confidentiality keeps me from telling you where they came from.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Could have come out of the armory after being red tagged. If you knew what jurisdiction this was, it would not surprise you. They had sme that had been converted to fire full auto! Confidentiality keeps me from telling you where they came from.
Darn, I had a pretty good guess as I used to work with a certain municipality that issued the 5906, though police officers were allowed to purchase their own weapon if they wanted to carry something else.

I wonder what they went to though. They were issuing S&W Model 10HB's before they went to the 5906, which I thought was an interesting switch.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I have the S&W 915, from the same family. It's in my truck or at my desk at work. Dependable as the day is long, I suspect I'd have to stuff it with .45 ACP to make it jam. Great shooters for those of us not into the polymer scene

Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Nice to get a couple S&W pistols in trade for your labor, RC10mm! I don't think you'll be sorry if you choose a 6906, it's a nice right-sized handgun. I got a recent manufacture 6906 trade-in from California DOC that had the typical holster wear but near pristine internally. I also got a trade-in 5906 (unknown agency) in similar condition, both from CDNN a few years back for around $350 and $300 respectively.

Later I stumbled on an older model 5903 that was LNIB with original cardboard box, papers and three magazines. Someone bought it then left it in the box for 20+ years so I couldn't walk away for $425.

Lately I've seen a lot of 5946 DA trade-ins at Cabelas at high prices, about $475. I guess the supply is drying up so people won't be getting the bargain prices of yesterday. For many years these fine pistols were a steal!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Have a 645, I'm very comfortable with. A rather large gun. It works well. Good luck!