S&W SD40VE fail to feed PMC
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum >

S&W SD40VE fail to feed PMC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W SD40VE fail to feed PMC

Hello All,
I am new to this site and my question may have already been answered, but I can't find it. My SD40 does not like PMC 180gr ammo. It will load and fire absolutely wonderfully, then the slide will not go completely forward and seat the round. A sharp tap on the rear of the slide usually feeds the round. New gun, only about 200 rounds thru it. Yes, it was thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled before first range time. It will feed 165gr HP just fine, not a single FTF. My stupid question is: would polishing the inside of the slide rails with something like Flitz polishing crème be a sensible solution?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a new SD40 and when I was cleaning it before the first range trip, I noticed the feed ramp on the bottom had a bit of a lip. Almost like a milling or finishing mistake. I took a very fine file and slowly worked the lip off of it. It took about 40 minutes of painstaking work, but it is smooth now. I felt the rest of the ramp was plenty smooth so I left it alone. Mine has shot Remington UMC 180 grain with no issues

Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Use caution.
One can remove too much metal, but it is harder to put it back on.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3574 Times on 1836 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Any light weight framed auto pistol can suffer from "limp wrist" related malfunctions. You noted the 165's work fine, but the 180's are problematic. The recoil impulse of the 180 is slower and you may be allowing the frame to move too much in recoil causing it to short stroke enough to cause this problem.

Most folks relate limp wrist to stove pipe ejection problems. Lesser degrees of limp wristing can cause feeding/locking problems.

Hold on tight and slow fire a few rounds. Does the problem persist? It could be the ammo made at the PMC factory called "Pretty Much Cheap"
Ruger52 Likes This