S&W SD40-VE -opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > S&W SD40-VE -opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default S&W SD40-VE -opinions?

I see that ff&f has the SD40-VE for $289.99. What is eveyones opinion on them? Are they good? Accurate? Worth the money? Can you do anything to them? Just wanted to get some insight before I purchase something I don't like. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

What will the gun be used for? How much experience do you have shooting?

I owned the same sigma model in 9mm and hated it. Bought it as a backup 9mm for range use/home defense and hated it. The trigger on that gun is the worst part of all. It's long....hard....and had a bad break. The gun is too bulky for carry although it's fairly light. I also hated the grip....it's a square poly grip with horrible ergos....and nothing to hold on to.

My opinion is the .40 will be snappier, and it is just cheaply made. I feel there are much better 40 cal poly semis out there for an extra $100 or so. Probably an ok gun strictly for backup....but that's about it. The low price says it all

Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Many features of that gun were reused in the M&P design. However, those features were drastically improved upon, and the not so good features were replaced. What resulted is s&w going from probably the worst poly pistol they have ever made, to the best IMHO. My cousin has one and it has the most god awful trigger I have ever come across on a striker fire gun (or any gun for that matter)

Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcruz12
I see that ff&f has the SD40-VE for $289.99. What is eveyones opinion on them? Are they good? Accurate? Worth the money? Can you do anything to them? Just wanted to get some insight before I purchase something I don't like. Thanks

image-2540882872.jpg

This is an upgrade from the Sigma line! I love it! It has been flawless through 1k+rds and more accurate than I at 15yds. You can upgrade trigger and accessorize using the same components as the original SDs (not sigma) It also uses SD magazines. Like many polymers its snappy with .40. Very controllable however. I paid around $330 for mine in June when it first came out.. I dont regret it. You get a hell of a lot of gun for $300!!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE="StainlessSteel215"]What will the gun be used for? How much experience do you have shooting?

I owned the same sigma model in 9mm and hated it. Bought it as a backup 9mm for range use/home defense and hated it. The trigger on that gun is the worst part of all./QUOTE]

The Sigma is a completely different gun. This is the SD-VE launched in June. Trigger is vastly improved over the Sigma. Closer to the M&P

Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

I have the Sigma in 40. My wife gave it to me as a gift. If she had not given it to me I would have traded it for something else by now. I dont want to hurt her feelings. The only gun I have ever shot with a worse trigger is a NAA mini revolver! The High Point has a better trigger! I cant believe they put the S&W logo on that gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have the Sigma in 40. My wife gave it to me as a gift. If she had not given it to me I would have traded it for something else by now. I dont want to hurt her feelings. The only gun I have ever shot with a worse trigger is a NAA mini revolver! The High Point has a better trigger! I cant believe they put the S&W logo on that gun.
The Sigma is a completely different gun then the one mentioned on the thread heading.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Everyone loves to hate these guns lol! But the SD is a step up from a sigma and I have a sigma in .40. My gun has performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds! Yes the trigger is not that good, but the gun is reliable and accurate. The only thing I have done to it was replace the spring and guide rod, because I shot it so much they wore out! Oh by the way Smith and Wesson was the one who fixed it for free inclding shipping! So yeah a reliable pistol with a lifetime gaurantee and made in America at a good price!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #9

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Oh so many complainers . The SD series is not the same as the Sigma. For the price the SD pistols are just fine pistol. The trigger is the biggest thing people still whine about and at 8lb+ it could be improved buy not a requirement. By a 26 dollar apex kit for the SD and the trigger pull weight drops to 5.5 lbs but it is not the worse out there buy far. Even most guys that have a m&p whine about those trigger being gritty heavier and over all not great. Thanks to apex there all capable to have smooth lighter triggers. . IF needed.

The SD40 is also lighter than a compairable m&p but.09 wider.

Hard to pass on the price for the few real differences for a house gun, range gun and if you can conceal it go for it.

One of our house guns is a sw40ve and after lighting the trigger pull to 6.5lb it makes a good easly to shoot gun for the money despite all the gun snobs.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The sdve and swve are completely different guns. They may look alike but the sdve is supposed to be a better purchase. Granted its not an m&p or an xdm but its half the price. For the money id say get one. I did 😆