Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > S&W bodygaurd 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default S&W bodygaurd 380

I just bought the bodygaurd and was wondering if anybody has a problem with inserting the mags with all six rounds in it them? It does fine with 5 but not six and all ammo does this also with Remington hollow points the shells will not allow the slide to slide all the way forward but other hollow points do.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

Full Magazines inserted on a closed bolt is common source of "What's wrong"

Considering your magazine is a full capacity with the spring depressed, the added compression is obvious when seating the magazine on a closed bolt.

Observing all safety warnings of life, try this. Lock the slide back (hold it back, remove the slide barrell, whatever is appropriate).
Insert a magazine and notice where the rounds align. With the slide back, there should be little if any resistance, but you will notice that the top round set's high enough to have the interference fit with the bolt. It is in fact necessary for it to protrude, such that the bolt will pick up a round.

NOTE: the slide's breach face and carrier serves as the bolt.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

I believe the problem is the spring in the mag won't depress enough after six rounds? I can hit the mag with my hand and it will go but I've never had to do that on any semi auto pistol just to get the mag to lock in before

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I think KG7IL is spot on.

Remedy: shoot the gun a bunch.
The magazines will loosen up a bit after many loadings and unloadings.

Alternatively, get some snap caps and load and unload the magazines a bunch while watching TV. Cycling them through the firearm isn't necessary in my opinion. Just fun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I have both the Ruger and Glock magazine loading tools. They both are easy to use and will compress a new stiff magazine. Both tools should be inexpensive. The Glock magazine tool is easier to use than the Ruger tool. Both Ruger and Glock pack a magazine compression tool with their new guns.

I have this tool from Ruger, it is $9.95 at the Ruger store.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 04-14-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:16 AM   #6

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Plus one on "shoot the gun"! My shield was all but impossible to fully load, out of the box! After about 200 rounds down range, she loosened up. Now, I have no problem! But I still have to give the mag a hard strike on the bottom to get it to lock, with a fully loaded mag. Different than my Glock, that just takes a light tap. I think it's just the characteristic of single stack Smiths. The more you shoot it, the better it will get.

Like guns, love people!!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 1722

I've had one for a year, never had any trouble with mag loaded to capacity. I've never had any trouble with it at all...
It is a little tricky reassembling it after cleaning. Getting the take-down pin reinserted properly can be a chore. Maybe if you break it down then reassemble it, "something wonderful" might happen.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mine had the same magazine issue, I had to give it a good slap for it to lock into place. It did loosen up after some use. Over all I loved the gun, great pocket pistol and fairly accurate.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 1722

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa View Post
Mine had the same magazine issue, I had to give it a good slap for it to lock into place. It did loosen up after some use. Over all I loved the gun, great pocket pistol and fairly accurate.
Although I've never had any problem with loading the gun with a full magazine (6 rounds), I do have to push really hard to get it properly inserted. But it always works OK.

Newest Threads