Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Question about .442

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

OP, why would you ask one question, and then bail? Surely you have other questions.......even I have more questions.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #12

delete post

Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #13

I was flossing my teeth and realized the pun with the "crappy name" comment. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. I smiled. I may get into reloading in the future..but not now.

I suppose you're right, clr8ter. I'm usually good at finding the answers through others with the same curiosity.
I guess you could say I like to stay in hiding. You guys are definitely making an impression though, so yeah.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #14

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

One thing to keep in mind when shooting hot loads in a light gun is that bullets can jump their crimp. When you shoot it, fire 4 and check the last one to make sure that the bullet is still seated to the correct depth. If one backs out far enough, it could lock up your cylinder.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopshoot View Post
I was flossing my teeth and realized the pun with the "crappy name" comment. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.........
It was intentional.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

magnum,

Makes a good point. But I lend to the philosophy when using a light gun like these for CWW, one should shoot the defense rounds they are going to be carrying just enough to know where they are hitting and how to handle the recoil. And then only fire the defense loads in them should the need arise. Practice and shooting for enhancing skills with the weapon should then be done with lighter loads. These little guys are not built with a steady diet of hot defense loads shot through them. Even a S&W K Frame will in time loosen up with a steady diet of 357 Mags through them! And they are larger frames than these revolvers.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #17

Sniper, I agree with you 100%. I also have a 442. I generally shoot light handloads that I have developed to shoot at the same point of impact as golden sabers at 10 yards. I very rarely shoot even a single SD round out of it. Not only are they hard on the equipment, but also hard on the wallet.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'm contemplating selling my 442 'cause I can't hit squat with it. I've tried staging the trigger, different ammo, two trigger jobs, bigger grips, to no avail. At 7 yards, all over the paper. Think I might look into some of the Charter Arms offerings, like the 44 Bulldog. Also want to try the LCR, I hear it can be pretty accurate, but getting past that plastic pistol thing isn't there, yet

Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3
I'm contemplating selling my 442 'cause I can't hit squat with it. I've tried staging the trigger, different ammo, two trigger jobs, bigger grips, to no avail. At 7 yards, all over the paper. Think I might look into some of the Charter Arms offerings, like the 44 Bulldog. Also want to try the LCR, I hear it can be pretty accurate, but getting past that plastic pistol thing isn't there, yet
If you cant hit with the 442, I don't know what makes you think another snub will be any better. All snub have crappy sights and short sight radius which is why they are so challenging to master. Also think of the purpose of the gun. Most of the practice that I do with mine involves an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and I don't use the sights. If I can double tap that at 7 yards, I feel that I am doing good.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Maybe one with a hammer so you can fire single action is more your style?