Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Need a little help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 322 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default Need a little help

I have this S&W .38 Special, it has a cracked grip and I wanted to replace it but
I'm having a little issue locating the correct ones. It's a "J" frame according to the serial number but, the replacement grips I got for it come up short along the bottom and on the sides...can anyone offer some help on what would be the correct replacements? I appreciate it!

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Last edited by KimberFan; 05-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Kimber can we see the full gun? From what I can see it almost looks like a K Frame? But can not tell without seeing the complete weapon.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It very well could be, I'm just going off the serial number on the bottom, it stated a "J" which I thought was the model.
Here's the pistol.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

malmais Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Kimber,

That is a J Frame!

Did you specifically order those grips for your S&W J Frame. They are definitely not factory grips. Only a thought, I think they probably are for some company's similar copy of a S&W J Frame. Could possibly even call their model a J Frame since that is just a size designation. Which would explain why the dimensions are different. I noticed they also do not fit on the sides at the top. Your pistol is a J Frame. I have never known an original set or set made for a S&W J Frame to be that way.

By the way NICE J FRAME!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-25-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Kimber,

That is a J Frame!

Did you specifically order those grips for your S&W J Frame. They are definitely not factory grips. Only a thought, I think they probably are for some company's similar copy of a S&W J Frame. Could possibly even call their model a J Frame since that is just a size designation. Which would explain why the dimensions are different. I noticed they also do not fit on the sides at the top. Your pistol is a J Frame. I have never known an original set or set made for a S&W J Frame to be that way.

By the way NICE J FRAME!

Thank You, Sniper. I appreciate the help, this info helps. I bought them from grip company out of N.C. online. Do you or anyone know a link or place I can get a good set of proper replacement grips for this? I'm not a revolver man and could use the info. It doesn't have to be a pearl set either. Thanks for the compliment as well!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

KimberFan,

As of a week ago last Tuesday my LGS had one set of direct replacements for the grips that are cracked. If you want I will check on them for you Monday. They closed about 20 minutes ago or I would do it now. They only had the one set, so let me know soon.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
KimberFan,

As of a week ago last Tuesday my LGS had one set of direct replacements for the grips that are cracked. If you want I will check on them for you Monday. They closed about 20 minutes ago or I would do it now. They only had the one set, so let me know soon.
I sure would appreciate that! Please let me know. Thank You!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
I sure would appreciate that! Please let me know. Thank You!
I will check when they open around 10 AM Monday.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I will check when they open around 10 AM Monday.
Doc. Not to worry! I found some in my area here too. I appreciate you stepping up for me. Thank You!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Doc. Not to worry! I found some in my area here too. I appreciate you stepping up for me. Thank You!
Not a problem. I'm glad you found something.

Newest Threads