My 22A!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > My 22A!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My 22A!

The more I shoot it the more it missfired,fail to eject,fail to feed!So I finally sent it in to smith and wesson.Does anyone know how long till I get it back approximately?

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

Last edited by JonM; 02-26-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: fixed title. watch the language

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

S&W has a good service department. Depending on the problem it may be a couple of weeks.

In my experience the main malfunction cause in rimfire firearms is solved by thorough cleaning

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 AM   #3

Liked 1837 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

I refuse to clean my Ruger 22/45 until it starts to give me trouble. I have owned it for about 12 years I guess. I bet I haven't cleaned it more than 3 or 4 times.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
S&W has a good service department. Depending on the problem it may be a couple of weeks.

In my experience the main malfunction cause in rimfire firearms is solved by thorough cleaning
My gun was very clean.It seemed like it was out of time...

Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 AM   #5

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

22LRs are notorious for balking when they are dirty.

Fortunately, most major brands have complete sets

of disassembly diagrams on the internet. Just Google

the proper model, and strip it and clean it yourself.

On reassembly, wipe the oil off the clean parts, and

use powdered graphite, so the gun doesn't gum up.

Usually, unless you do an insane amount of shooting,

an annual cleaning will do the trick.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To answer your question about S&W service times, I had to send my 22a in about a year ago because the magazines would not stay in the mag well. It took about six weeks from the time I sent the gun off until it was back in my hands. They were very good about letting me know they got the gun and updated me on progress. I received a report on what they found, and what they did to repair the problem. When I got the gun back it was fixed, and I have not had any repeats of the problem.

Regarding your problem, also consider that .22LR is finicky ammo. Not every round from every manufacturer will work in every gun. In fact most guns show a preference for certain brands and types within a brand. My 22a likes CCI standard velocity ammo best. It does not like Remington Thunderbolts and certain Federal bulk rounds at all. NormaUSA Tac22 will fail to fire about 1 - 2 rounds per 100 in my 22a. With the exception of the Remington Thunderbolts, my 10/22 will happily eat the other brands mentioned, but likes CCI 40 grain Mini Mags best.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1xd View Post
To answer your question about S&W service times, I had to send my 22a in about a year ago because the magazines would not stay in the mag well. It took about six weeks from the time I sent the gun off until it was back in my hands. They were very good about letting me know they got the gun and updated me on progress. I received a report on what they found, and what they did to repair the problem. When I got the gun back it was fixed, and I have not had any repeats of the problem.

Regarding your problem, also consider that .22LR is finicky ammo. Not every round from every manufacturer will work in every gun. In fact most guns show a preference for certain brands and types within a brand. My 22a likes CCI standard velocity ammo best. It does not like Remington Thunderbolts and certain Federal bulk rounds at all. NormaUSA Tac22 will fail to fire about 1 - 2 rounds per 100 in my 22a. With the exception of the Remington Thunderbolts, my 10/22 will happily eat the other brands mentioned, but likes CCI 40 grain Mini Mags best.
I spoke with S&W today and they said they have a 3-4 week turn around right now.Im just happy to know my gun made it there.I was kind of worried about shipping my gun.Ill try that ammo when I get it back thanks!!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Shooting my 22a in a bowling pin match today, and thought of another problem you may be having, because I had it. The baseplate of the magazines can move and slide rearward a small amount. If this happens while you are inserting the magazine it can prevent the magazine from seating fully. This can prevent the first cartridge from cycling into the chamber, and in the worst case it can cause the magazine itself from seating in the magazine well. When I had my Altmont pistol grip on my 22a this was never a problem, because that grip had lots of clearance around the magazine well. The stock plastic grips fit tightly around the magazine well, which is why there could be an interference. When I got home today, I immediately removed some material and chamfered the plastic to help lead the magazine base into the well. I won't know if this really worked until the next time I go shooting