You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum >

Model 39 - An Oldie But Goldie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Default Model 39 - An Oldie But Goldie

Taking some time off over the holidays and went to the range, Took some range time on my Model 39. This gun is one of my favorites. Quality, accuracy and dependability plus it looks cool. The gun just feels and shoots better than I would expect considering the era it was designed and built in. I know a lot of folks dismiss it as being inferior to the 2nd generation and especially the 3rd generation guns but I just plain like this single stack version. I know that polymer frames are the way everything is going but I still like the metal frame guns more. I own some poly frame and they are great guns but its just a personal thing. Shot 400 rounds with no FTF or FTE. All in all a good day. I hope yours was as well.
big shrek Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4118 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I had a 59 in college. My brother has a 39-2 and it has given him many years and thousands of rounds of flawless fun.

The 1st gen guns have more sharp edges than the later guns. In many ways they are superior to the 2nd gen guns. The attempt to "modernize" the design failed (IMHO) with the cheapening of the gun. The ambi safety just screwed on was very problematic on the 2nd gen guns.

I have several 3rd gen S&W's; 5906, 1006, 1066, 4506. They just plain work.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 12-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2847 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Taking some time off over the holidays and went to the range, Took some range time on my Model 39. This gun is one of my favorites. Quality, accuracy and dependability plus it looks cool. The gun just feels and shoots better than I would expect considering the era it was designed and built in. I know a lot of folks dismiss it as being inferior to the 2nd generation and especially the 3rd generation guns but I just plain like this single stack version. I know that polymer frames are the way everything is going but I still like the metal frame guns more. I own some poly frame and they are great guns but its just a personal thing. Shot 400 rounds with no FTF or FTE. All in all a good day. I hope yours was as well.
ROGER THAT!!! I have two (2) original mags from a 39 that belonged to a friend of mine who passed and his widow wants me to sell them for her. If there are any 39 fans out there PM me and I can arrange for them to meet your old 39.
One of my main CC guns is the 6906, which is good or better than any of the new plastic striker fired guns.
big shrek Likes This