M&P 22lr & 9mm, similar or different?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > M&P 22lr & 9mm, similar or different?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1735 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default M&P 22lr & 9mm, similar or different?

How close are the M&P 22lr and M&P 9mm to each other? Are they just as different as the G19 and 22/45 I’m currently shooting? Or is the experience SIGNIFICANTLY more similar in terms of action, weight, feel & operation than not? If my eyes were closed could I tell the difference without firing them?

Last edited by Vincine; 03-21-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

While I don't own either...looking at the website...the size is virtually the same but the options for the 9mm in terms of trigger pull and capacity vary greatly...if you had the right 9mm....it would probably feel nearly identical..imo

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
While I don't own either...looking at the website...the size is virtually the same but the options for the 9mm in terms of trigger pull and capacity vary greatly...if you had the right 9mm....it would probably feel nearly identical..imo
Yeah I know. I just sent an email to S&W asking which M&P 9mm would be closest to the 22lr. I'll post what they say.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Yeah I know. I just sent an email to S&W asking which M&P 9mm would be closest to the 22lr. I'll post what they say.
They responded,”The Full size M&P 9 and 40 are about the same size and weight as the M&P .22.”

This is less than useful considering the S&W website states:
the full sized 9mm has a 5” barrel and the 22 has a 4” barrel;
some M&Ps have thumb safeties and some don’t;
some M&Ps have a Warren Tactical sight, some have a Novak® Reduced Glare sight, some have VTAC® Warrior, or other sight;
some M&Ps have double actions and some don’t indicate what kind of action they have at all:
They have different trigger pulls; etc.

I replied with the above and asked for SKU#s. I'll post what they say.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Good call on the reply..that way you are guaranteed to get something very close. I would suggest that you just go to an LGS and look at them..but we all know how that would turn out right now..lol...good luck!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have (and use) both. They are virtually indistinguishable from each other other than the logo and looking at the end of the barrel - same weight (pretty much). Take down is a little different, but similar. I thought the M&P22 would be good practice for the 9 but it's not (for me). Trigger feels different and recoil is hugely different. Same holster fits both. Hope this helps.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfrid View Post
I have (and use) both. They are virtually indistinguishable from each other other than the logo and looking at the end of the barrel - same weight (pretty much). Take down is a little different, but similar. I thought the M&P22 would be good practice for the 9 but it's not (for me). Trigger feels different and recoil is hugely different. Same holster fits both. Hope this helps.
Which do you have? There are three 22 M&Ps and twenty-four 9mm M&Ps.

I've a 22/45 & a G19 and they're hugely different to me. I know the recoil is going to be different. I was hoping the trigger weights, sights, grips, etc., on at least one of the M&P9s or M&P40s would be similar to a M&P22. I just can't tell which one from the S&W site. Their spec categories are inconstant.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
How close are the M&P 22lr and M&P 9mm to each other? Are they just as different as the G19 and 22/45 I’m currently shooting? Or is the experience SIGNIFICANTLY more similar in terms of action, weight, feel & operation than not? If my eyes were closed could I tell the difference without firing them?
In case your still interested? I own both. They are both very similar with slight differences. The .22 doesn't have interchangeable back straps, so if you use the large back strap on your 9mm you'll notice the difference with the smaller .22 grip. Also, my .22 came with the rear sights blackened, so you can focus on the front sight. That was instantly noticeable to me, as all of my handguns have two dot rear sights. As mentioned before, the takedown and recoil are also different between the two. The .22 is good for training purposes to help build muscle memory with the m&p models. And cheaper range time. It's also extremely fun to shoot!