Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love my sd9ve. I did install the trigger kit and did some polish work on the trigger after a few hundred rounds. It had a long heavy trigger pull for safety. After the kit it is still safe enough for My liking.

forumrunner_20130504_141731.jpg

Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Another thing you can do is once you get it, clean and then lock the slide to the rear until you take it to the range the first time. This can help break in the spring without hundreds of rounds fired. I know this helps a lot with some of the smaller 9mm's and glocks because they tend to have very stiff springs in the beginning.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
IMHO, Decide for yourself whether you want to modify the trigger pull on a weapon that has no manual safety. The only safety mechanisms with an SD9VE are the long double action only(DAO) trigger pull and those six inches between your ears.

The only way to make a reasoned decision is through repetition, as in shoot it and shoot it some more! I recommend using FMJ and the self defense(SD) ammo you will be carrying.
I had a SW40VE, the Sigma 40 with a similar long trigger, and ended up leaving it alone. It's a great gun for self defense, the trigger pull is designed long and hard as a safety mechanism. If you're going to use the weapon as it is intended ( SD stands for Self Defense), then don't monkey with the trigger. IF you want to turn it into an accurate range weapon, THEN look into trigger mods, or buy a pistol designed for SA fire ( like my SigSauers , for example ) that have a light and smooth SA trigger. One gun is not going to excell at every use.
Brent
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertram View Post

I had a SW40VE, the Sigma 40 with a similar long trigger, and ended up leaving it alone. It's a great gun for self defense, the trigger pull is designed long and hard as a safety mechanism. If you're going to use the weapon as it is intended ( SD stands for Self Defense), then don't monkey with the trigger. IF you want to turn it into an accurate range weapon, THEN look into trigger mods, or buy a pistol designed for SA fire ( like my SigSauers , for example ) that have a light and smooth SA trigger. One gun is not going to excell at every use.
Brent
Well...i have to say that I only own a couple of handguns...but almost all of my shooting has been range based. I find it to be very accurate at 10 yards..and decent at 20 yds. I purchased it for SD/HD....and while I would not enter a competition with it ( my wife is a way better shot with it than I am..so far) ...I feel very comfortable calling it accurate..and I have not modified the firearm at all.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #15

I take my mine to the range every week and i am pleased with its performance

Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just bought the SD9VE and so far I like it. The trigger pull is long but it doesn't bother me. So far it has shot everything I've fed it with no problems.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #17

Any one having problems with +p 9mm ammo in this gun?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?

Long pull is just part of the problem.
A. Set grip size = it has to fit your hand right otherwise your shots are going to be inconsistent. Solution: assuming it fits reasonably, stippling of the frame will "glue" the gun into your hand ... but be ready to stick with that gun from that point on.
B. Veeeery long reset = crappy for follow up shots. Solution: Apex has a replacement Glock style trigger. It's solid and cuts down the pull and reset travel 10-20%.
C. Trigger design = that pivot point and thin lower part steals from the finger pressure. Solution: see point B

With all that said, some people like heavy and long pull, some don't. I don't mind long pull but 12lb and reset which is nearly al long as the initial pull was kind of too much. Between trigger spring kit and new trigger it was said to be possible to cut down trigger travel and drop the pull to 5-7lb but you have to run that gun in different situation to find your failure point to decide on mods you want to do. In any case that's about as much as you can do on the budget without getting into heavy mods like milling out ports on the business end of the slide to help mitigate recoil for better stability during repeat fire. If it sounds like too much of work/money I'd rather look into buying an M&P right off the bed. As reliable but a lot easier to operate and comes in different sizes though only $200 more and none of that headache with mods
Good luck.

Last edited by 60mg; 01-10-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #19

Default sd9ve with apex trigger kit

Just dropped in the apex trigger kit. Took 30 minutes tops following thier video on youtube. Trigger is around 6.5 lbs now. Not a bad little gun. Kit was $24. off of ebay free shipping.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my recommendation on any pistol is to put a few hundred rounds through them before making any changes or modifications. get toknow the pistol and learn about it's diffeences from other pistols before making any changes. the more you shoot it, the more you may like it as it is. kind of hard to make any references to changes to something when you havent any experiance with it like it came from the factory. how do you know if the changes were an improvement?