Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?

I just bought a SD9VE on gunbroker. I don't even have the gun yet, but I'm excited to get it. I just recently got into the handgun world...and I'm hooked. My first gun was a Hi-Point C9. I know there are a lot of haters out there. I bought the HP because I didn't want to spend a lot on my first gun... I didn't know I would be so addicted. The HP needed a few things before it shot well. One issue was that the mags needed tweaking right out of the box. It was kind of annoying, but not that big of a deal. The other issue was it needed certain kinds of ammo. 124 grain worked great, but steel cased 115 grain TulAmmo jammed.

Anyway, just wondering if this SW needs anything special tweaking or adjustments...or (hopefully) it is good to go right out of the box. Also, are there any special ammo requirements, or can you feed it anything?

thanks,

Last edited by dr_psych; 04-29-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

When you get your new pistol home, field strip, clean and lube it.

Then shoot it, shoot it, shoot it some more, then decide what you think needs tweaking.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have one in .40 cal. I love it! I have put about 500 rounds thtough it now and it is broken in Pretty well. With some ammo, I have noticed the slide sticking back..but that has not happened since my first 200 round s. There is a slight rattle in a fully loaded mag....have not disassembled them to see what it is Bc you have to shake to make the sound...I don't shake mine from side to side very often and do not notice it when I carry. Goodluck and enjoy it!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Get a new trigger kit from apex tactical

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklarimore
Get a new trigger kit from apex tactical
Being a total newb, I have no idea what this is or what it improves. Please advise

Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_psych

Being a total newb, I have no idea what this is or what it improves. Please advise
The SD triggers are gritty and heavy. This will reduce the take up, make it feel smooth and reduce the amount of pounds it takes to squeeze the trigger to release the firing pin to strike the primer to fire the bullet.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2935 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

IMHO, Decide for yourself whether you want to modify the trigger pull on a weapon that has no manual safety. The only safety mechanisms with an SD9VE are the long double action only(DAO) trigger pull and those six inches between your ears.

The only way to make a reasoned decision is through repetition, as in shoot it and shoot it some more! I recommend using FMJ and the self defense(SD) ammo you will be carrying.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
bbertram Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I like eatmydusts opinion on this. I am not sure that I would lighten the trigger on mine due to the lack of am external safety beyond the trigger. I may change my mind eventually but with over 500 rounds through it so far...I am happy with the trigger as is for now. a buddy of mine had the S& W E series 1911...love the lighter trigger on that gun but would not want to go without a safety with that trigger either.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Apex makes a duty kit that keeps the trigger around 6-8 lbs but improves all the other aspects

Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'd send a few hundred rounds down range before I went o changing anything. Tweak talk before you even posess it reminds me of th eold saying a woman spends half her life looking for the perfect man and the other half trying to change him.

It's true those pistols have a pretty heavy trigger but some people don't have a problem with it. Before I spent more money on a new gun I'd want to know what group I was in.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This