Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Smith & Wesson Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/just-bought-sd9ve-gb-break-89761/)

dr_psych 04-29-2013 01:02 AM

Just bought a SD9VE on GB. Break-in?

I just bought a SD9VE on gunbroker. I don't even have the gun yet, but I'm excited to get it. I just recently got into the handgun world...and I'm hooked. My first gun was a Hi-Point C9. I know there are a lot of haters out there. I bought the HP because I didn't want to spend a lot on my first gun... I didn't know I would be so addicted. The HP needed a few things before it shot well. One issue was that the mags needed tweaking right out of the box. It was kind of annoying, but not that big of a deal. The other issue was it needed certain kinds of ammo. 124 grain worked great, but steel cased 115 grain TulAmmo jammed.

Anyway, just wondering if this SW needs anything special tweaking or adjustments...or (hopefully) it is good to go right out of the box. Also, are there any special ammo requirements, or can you feed it anything?

thanks,

Gatoragn 04-29-2013 01:32 AM

When you get your new pistol home, field strip, clean and lube it.

Then shoot it, shoot it, shoot it some more, then decide what you think needs tweaking.

apwvsd40ve 04-30-2013 01:49 AM

I have one in .40 cal. I love it! I have put about 500 rounds thtough it now and it is broken in Pretty well. With some ammo, I have noticed the slide sticking back..but that has not happened since my first 200 round s. There is a slight rattle in a fully loaded mag....have not disassembled them to see what it is Bc you have to shake to make the sound...I don't shake mine from side to side very often and do not notice it when I carry. Goodluck and enjoy it!

nicklarimore 04-30-2013 02:14 AM

Get a new trigger kit from apex tactical

dr_psych 05-01-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicklarimore
Get a new trigger kit from apex tactical

Being a total newb, I have no idea what this is or what it improves. Please advise

Squawk 05-02-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_psych

Being a total newb, I have no idea what this is or what it improves. Please advise

The SD triggers are gritty and heavy. This will reduce the take up, make it feel smooth and reduce the amount of pounds it takes to squeeze the trigger to release the firing pin to strike the primer to fire the bullet.

eatmydust 05-02-2013 12:18 AM

IMHO, Decide for yourself whether you want to modify the trigger pull on a weapon that has no manual safety. The only safety mechanisms with an SD9VE are the long double action only(DAO) trigger pull and those six inches between your ears.

The only way to make a reasoned decision is through repetition, as in shoot it and shoot it some more! I recommend using FMJ and the self defense(SD) ammo you will be carrying.

apwvsd40ve 05-02-2013 02:56 AM

I like eatmydusts opinion on this. I am not sure that I would lighten the trigger on mine due to the lack of am external safety beyond the trigger. I may change my mind eventually but with over 500 rounds through it so far...I am happy with the trigger as is for now. a buddy of mine had the S& W E series 1911...love the lighter trigger on that gun but would not want to go without a safety with that trigger either.

nicklarimore 05-02-2013 03:46 PM

Apex makes a duty kit that keeps the trigger around 6-8 lbs but improves all the other aspects

DrumJunkie 05-02-2013 04:55 PM

I'd send a few hundred rounds down range before I went o changing anything. Tweak talk before you even posess it reminds me of th eold saying a woman spends half her life looking for the perfect man and the other half trying to change him.

It's true those pistols have a pretty heavy trigger but some people don't have a problem with it. Before I spent more money on a new gun I'd want to know what group I was in.