Bodyguard 380 Thoughts? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Bodyguard 380 Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've had a BG .380 for over a year and like many was a little leery of the long trigger pull. Then I took an advanced carry techniques course where we spent a very full hour doing close-combat drills (arms-length to 3-meters), only pausing the firing when all the mags were empty (I had five with me) to reload. I discovered that in that kind of shooting the length or weight of the trigger pull were totally forgotten because this was training to save my life! Even with my somewhat arthritic fingers I was drawing, going to modified Weaver stance and doing double-taps to the center-mass with singles to either the head or the groin on one OR two targets as fast as I could and getting kill-shots almost 90% of the time. One advantage I had with my little S&W was when the instructor would yell "Surrender!" thru a bullhorn to simulate the aggressor dropping his weapon. While the Glock-guys and others with the short and light triggers were still making holes in the now-passive knucklehead, I was able to control my shot; not because of skill but because of that double-action trigger! I've since put Nitesighters on the stock sights for better visibility in low-light conditions (I like to know where that muzzle is, that's where combat accuracy comes from I was taught). It's not a range gun and if you practice like it is you will HATE the Bodyguard. Use it like it was intended and it will be a very good friend!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2150 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeagleears View Post
it's not a range gun and if you practice like it is you will hate the bodyguard. Use it like it was intended and it will be a very good friend!
qft

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #23

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Good post. I've had the Bodyguard for about 3 months and carry it daily. I also shoot it as often as possible. At first I didn't like the trigger either, compared to my other guns it's at least twice as hard to pull. But I like that for a carry gun. Anyway, I shoot it as often as I can and after one or two shots, my muscle memory kicks in and I stage the trigger without thinking about it. No, it's not a range gun, but at 10 yards I can put every shot on the paper..and for a small gun with the trigger handicap, I am pretty happy about that grouping.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Last edited by Missouribound; 07-10-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

The long, hard trigger pull helps prevent negligent discharge accidents. It's only a minor thing on the range, but may save you a manslaughter conviction if you start to pull the trigger in a real-life event only to discover the "other guy" is a friend or relative who neglected to knock on your door before entering your house.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great info, thanks for sharing

Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
The long, hard trigger pull helps prevent negligent discharge accidents. It's only a minor thing on the range, but may save you a manslaughter conviction if you start to pull the trigger in a real-life event only to discover the "other guy" is a friend or relative who neglected to knock on your door before entering your house.
I understand the thought behind this but if you're pulling the trigger and you don't know your target and what's beyond you either deserve jail time or to have no guns. Period.
If you rely on anything other than keeping your booger picker off the bang switch, don't carry a gun. Period.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I understand the thought behind this but if you're pulling the trigger and you don't know your target and what's beyond you either deserve jail time or to have no guns. Period.
If you rely on anything other than keeping your booger picker off the bang switch, don't carry a gun. Period.
A valid point but one that can create problems both operationally and legally. A gentleman of my acquaintance decided that his carry piece should be a Glock 27 tucked into a quality IWB holster. All was fine for a couple of weeks when he decided to modify the trigger of his little plastic-fantastic down to a more instantaneous 2.5-pound pull. Within a month he spooked on a noise in the darkened parking lot when going to his car and decided to pull his pistol as a precaution. He said he scuffed his toe as he was unholstering the thing and as he wobbled, trying to regain his balance, he managed to get both the little lever and the big lever moved enough to send a .40 S&W into the side of a stranger's Buick. His fault? Damn straight! But something a bit less skittish in it's actuation would have helped immensely also. Having the ability to de-escalate the situation is an act of prudence which may also serve you when the prosecutor points at your face and proclaims that you had a dangerous "hair-trigger" machine in your mitt with no way to turn it off! Yes, it's baloney but the jury is probably not going to know that. Your choice of a carry-piece has more to consider than POA-POI, mag capacity, muzzle-velocity and if it prints through your golf shirt. The Bodyguard may not answer everyone's needs all the time (I switch off between it and a compact 1911 in .45 ACP), but it provides a better small-caliber, easily concealable answer than most everything out there in my opinion.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #28

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

One of the issues discussed in the CCW class I took was factory gun and ammo. The trainer said to always use factory ammo and a gun without modifications. The reasons were that both the gun and ammo manufacturers have liability insurance for their product and they will defend if it comes to that point. And the big reason was that if you load your own ammo or modify the gun, the prosecutor will accuse you of making your weapon "more deadly" and that you were anticipating trouble to the point of looking for it. I tend to agree with that scenario, seeing how ridiculous the court system can be, as evidenced now by the current Zimmerman trial.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #29

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars

A valid point but one that can create problems both operationally and legally. A gentleman of my acquaintance decided that his carry piece should be a Glock 27 tucked into a quality IWB holster. All was fine for a couple of weeks when he decided to modify the trigger of his little plastic-fantastic down to a more instantaneous 2.5-pound pull. Within a month he spooked on a noise in the darkened parking lot when going to his car and decided to pull his pistol as a precaution. He said he scuffed his toe as he was unholstering the thing and as he wobbled, trying to regain his balance, he managed to get both the little lever and the big lever moved enough to send a .40 S&W into the side of a stranger's Buick. His fault? Damn straight! But something a bit less skittish in it's actuation would have helped immensely also. Having the ability to de-escalate the situation is an act of prudence which may also serve you when the prosecutor points at your face and proclaims that you had a dangerous "hair-trigger" machine in your mitt with no way to turn it off! Yes, it's baloney but the jury is probably not going to know that. Your choice of a carry-piece has more to consider than POA-POI, mag capacity, muzzle-velocity and if it prints through your golf shirt. The Bodyguard may not answer everyone's needs all the time (I switch off between it and a compact 1911 in .45 ACP), but it provides a better small-caliber, easily concealable answer than most everything out there in my opinion.
Only a complete idiot greenhorn would try and carry any Glock with a 21/2# trigger pull. All the newbies to the world of handguns really worry me. They read an article or two and become overnight experts.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Yep. One thing that is frequently found in the gun rags is an article by a gunwriter about how he sent his 1911 to Joe Blow to get the trigger lightened, the front of the trigger guard cut out, had the grip safety disabled, and had these slick ivory grip panels put on it. So people read that crap and think if they do it that'll make them a superstar handgun expert, so they get that done to their gun, and carry it cocked and unlocked for maximum speed.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 08-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.