Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > BG 380 issues??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default BG 380 issues??

Actually I think I've got it figured out so this is more or less some observations on just my BG 380.

Got the gun back in June and really like it, for a number of reasons. Ran a good 350 to 400 rounds through it and it was flawless. These 350 to 400 rounds were a combination of Winchester White Box, PMC Bronze, Hornady Critical defense and Remington UMC. Never any FTE, FTF (either type), slide lock back…nothing.

Then I bought some Herters and after 1 or 2 mags I started to get failure to fire (light strike?). Had about 5 of these in 2 straight mags so I put them away and chalked it up to the ammo. Got some MagTech and got through about 20-25 rounds flawlessly then…the same thing. The round will fire on the second strike but I was really disappointed. Now it’s not just some potentially bad ammo but the light strike problem, which I’ve heard of being an issue with the BG in the past. I have also heard people say though that their particular gun can be ammo sensitive so I got some more WWB and took it out yesterday.

Went through a box, again, with no issues at all. Even shot a few more Hornady’s through it with the same results. I’m figuring maybe I just have one of those guns that can be a bit fussy with ammo – which I can live with if it just means that I only buy certain types. I still don’t like the light strike thing and will at some time do something with the firing pin and spring set-up but ‘til then I feel pretty OK with the ammo that I currently have in stock.

Just my ramblings but, hey…maybe it’ll spur some thought, somewhere.

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have also had a tough time with Mag Tech ammo and my BG380... I have never tried Herters in my BG... Although it runs fine tbrough my Berreta Px4. The good news is I have about 600rds of various ammo through my BG and no other issues at all. A quick search of the web shows Mag Tech having some of the. Hardest primers around.. no fret unlesz you start having other problems