Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Smith & Wesson Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   BG .380 examination (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/bg-380-examination-90340/)

mountainman13 05-08-2013 05:09 PM

BG .380 examination

Well I gutted my bodyguard and went through it with a fine tooth comb. While it is not the first time I've dealt with one, it is the first time I have really gone through it. It is a relatively well built, although roughly manufactured firearm. It makes me wonder if S&W is focused on production numbers rather than quality.
Of course the number one issue with the BG is the trigger pull. I can tell you there is no easy fix. After a polish job which did remove some of the grittyness, I tried a series of springs that I had kicking around from other trigger jobs. While they greatly improved the trigger pull weight they all resulted in light strikes. The length of pull could be improved by remanufacturing the trigger bar changing the angle on it to cause it to disconnect sooner. Aside from this all the people out there that have been on the search for an easy fix are essentially sol.

triggerjob 05-08-2013 06:33 PM

Generally speaking, lightening springs results in less reliability. Unless the gun is totally over engineered. Polishing all the contact surfaces in the trigger mechanism, not just the sear will lighten the pull. Also use a 'molybednum' grease on those surfaces.

Unless you really have a clear understanding of the sear geometry and how it works to make the gun safe(or not), changing it even slightly to 'improve' trigger pull can result in accidently killing yourself.

If you don't know how to tell through observation of the mechanism whether you sear angle is right, you shouldn't be doing 'trigger jobs'. (That's not an accusation, just good safe advice)

One other thing to consider, self defense and 'duty guns' are designed with heavy trigger pulls to begin with to enhance safty. If you ever need to use it, the heavy trigger pull will be overcome by adrenaline anyway, but if you ever pull it, and don't neccesarily need it a light trigger pull will be a serious danger.

One final thought, if you don't know the difference between a positive, negative, or nuetral sear system which one is best and why, then you don't posses the minimum knowledge to safely do triggerwork. If you use a 'guy' to do your work who can't explain those to you, get another guy cause you're courting disaster.

triggerjob 05-08-2013 06:35 PM

If you shorten the length of pull, you will need a heavier spring to compensate for the loss of kinetic energy, or you will likely create missfires.

triggerjob 05-08-2013 06:44 PM

Also, polish the inside of the striker channel and the striker itself, as buggers there will absord energy as the striker falls creating reliabilty issues with lighter springs.

mountainman13 05-08-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerjob (Post 1240943)
Also, polish the inside of the striker channel and the striker itself, as buggers there will absord energy as the striker falls creating reliabilty issues with lighter springs.

Like I said there is no easy fix in this case. Although your above statement is good sound advice, I have absolutely no desire to polish the striker area as this requires removal of the rear sight on this model and the benefit would be virtually voided by the design.

mountainman13 05-08-2013 07:42 PM

Are you familiar with the BG?

ScottA 05-08-2013 07:46 PM

It's a trigger designed to be as idiot proof as possible.

mountainman13 05-08-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 1240995)
It's a trigger designed to be as idiot proof as possible.

Lol. You got that right. I would be very impressed to see someone pull off a double tap with the damn thing.

ScottA 05-08-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1240999)
Lol. You got that right. I would be very impressed to see someone pull off a double tap with the damn thing.

I've tried, on paper. I can imagine in a firefight you get off the first round then... "Ok just stand there for a moment... wait a minute... BANG" ;)

Still a good gun. I'd trust my life to it.

mountainman13 05-08-2013 08:10 PM

Lol. Basically my exact thought. I've always hated the trigger on it but now that I own one and have shot a few boxes of ammo through it, I despise the trigger. Other than that I haven't had any issues with it. It is a good little summer time gun, I just have a hard time with the fact that I get faster follow up shots out of my glock 20 and there really isn't a damn thing I can do to improve the trigger.