Anyone shot a S&W SW9VE? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson Forum > Anyone shot a S&W SW9VE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
I've shot a SD9VE, but haven't seen or heard of the SW9VE. Anyone had one of these?

Bob
The Sigma has been around a while and went through a few changes over the years. The triggers are pretty funky but they can be calmed down some if one chooses to. They are pretty accurate and in my opinion one of the better bang of the buck pistols out there. Really for the money I can't see asking much more out of them than they deliver. Because of the long 12# pull shooters do tend to push or pull more so any flaw in your handling will be magnified because of the extra work to fire them. But a little polishing and a striker spring change they can be brought down to a reasonable pull weight. I've heard stories about light strikes after a striker sporing change but I have yet to see it happen whenI shot them. I even took a few coils off the striker the Wolf spring and had fired around 1K rounds and never had a light strike. A friend still has that Sigma today and it still has been without fail. Not bad for a 300.00 gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

SUCCCCCKKKKKYYYYY triggers. I sold mine. For the money, it's a good cheap SHTF gun to keep put up somewhere, but in my opinion not a good EDC unless that's all you can afford

Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #13

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1
SUCCCCCKKKKKYYYYY triggers. I sold mine. For the money, it's a good cheap SHTF gun to keep put up somewhere, but in my opinion not a good EDC unless that's all you can afford
Mines been reliable and I'm accurate with it. Carry it every day. After a trigger job, I have no bitches about it

Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

Mines been reliable and I'm accurate with it. Carry it every day. After a trigger job, I have no bitches about it
How hard is it to change the springs on the gun or should I get a gun smith to do it?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Just look up sw9ve on you tube theres some pretty good ones on the subject. Then decide if you are up to the task

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

A trigger job would essentially make it really good. It just didn't fit me well.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbombs

How hard is it to change the springs on the gun or should I get a gun smith to do it?
I have absolutely no gunsmith experience, it was my first hand gun and I did it myself in about 15 minutes fallowing a video of someone on YouTube doing it. Really not hard
Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I will tell you what I put in another thread.

I have two friends with them. A 9 and a .40. When I first shot them, both had bad triggers that affected accuracy. Both guys had trigger jobs done by a gunsmith for about $40. I have shot both since, and they are like new guns. Much better trigger. More predictable bang spot, better reset, the gritty feel is gone. Seems to me it makes a inexpensive gun better cheaply.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #19

I have the SW40VE and I actually love it and recently bought a SW9VE and the jury i out on it. The 40 has been flawless since day one, the 9 locked the slide back every time it was fired, but not when you just pull the slide back, unless there is an empty magazine in place. Came home and tore it completely down, found the slide stop spring was not installed under the locking block correctly. It caused the slide to bind when fired. I tweaked it and re-installed it, called S&W and they are sending me another.

I bought the 40 for a boat/4 wheeler/truck gun for use at the farm. It originally had a 11 3/4lb trigger. I shot it, played with the trigger, shot it, played some more and now have a 6 1/2lb trigger with the Apex kit and a 7lb trigger without it. The 9 is unmodified at the moment.

Here is a video to walk you thru the "free" trigger job:

Sigma Trigger Fix / Mod DIY walk through for beginners EASY

If you want to make it "look" a little better, add a M&P F/S base plates:

I also added night sights to the 40:

My everyday carry is a M&P 40c, but I would not hesitate to carry the SW40 if I can find a nice IWB holster for it.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
I have the SW40VE and I actually love it and recently bought a SW9VE and the jury i out on it. The 40 has been flawless since day one, the 9 locked the slide back every time it was fired, but not when you just pull the slide back, unless there is an empty magazine in place. Came home and tore it completely down, found the slide stop spring was not installed under the locking block correctly. It caused the slide to bind when fired. I tweaked it and re-installed it, called S&W and they are sending me another.

I bought the 40 for a boat/4 wheeler/truck gun for use at the farm. It originally had a 11 3/4lb trigger. I shot it, played with the trigger, shot it, played some more and now have a 6 1/2lb trigger with the Apex kit and a 7lb trigger without it. The 9 is unmodified at the moment.

Here is a video to walk you thru the "free" trigger job:

Sigma Trigger Fix / Mod DIY walk through for beginners EASY

If you want to make it "look" a little better, add a M&P F/S base plates:

I also added night sights to the 40:

My everyday carry is a M&P 40c, but I would not hesitate to carry the SW40 if I can find a nice IWB holster for it.
Cross breed makes a nice iwb. Most m&p full size holsters fit it too