Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Smith & Wesson Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   9mm slide lock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/9mm-slide-lock-104955/)

mahall 03-10-2014 11:47 PM

9mm slide lock

Just bought a new Shield 9mm. Had a vey hard time locking the slide Back. Hoping it will get easier the more I shoot it. I'm attributing this problem to stiff springs and not broken in?? Anyway when I finally got it to lock it back, I'm letting it stay in the lock position overnight hoping it will loosen the recoil spring a tad! Anyone else have lock sliding issues with there shield?? If so what's the cure or does she just need to be shot??

Like guns, love people!!

TexasRog 03-11-2014 12:38 AM

I'm having that very same problem with my Taurus 709 Slim. I handloaded some FMJ ammo to max and it still fails to cycle at times. I have about 100 rounds through it so far. Can't make a recommendation for because I have problem also. Locking slide back may do it. I would not alter the springs tho.

kryptar19 03-11-2014 12:53 AM

Typical for the Shield. Mine was the same way, and so was the 30+ that I sold while working for Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

mahall 03-11-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1527554)
Typical for the Shield. Mine was the same way, and so was the 30+ that I sold while working for Academy.

So does it get better the more you shoot it? It took me a half hour and a lot of elbow grease to manage to get the slide locked! Sure don't want to do that every time I clean it!

Like guns, love people!!

Point6liter 03-11-2014 11:27 AM

The trick to mine and the two others that I have handled was to rack the slide back fast, and full strength. Seems like they all have a spot that the spring compression gets really tough, and if you don't do it fast all the way then it will stick. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

Mercator 03-11-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1527720)
So does it get better the more you shoot it? It took me a half hour and a lot of elbow grease to manage to get the slide locked! Sure don't want to do that every time I clean it!

Like guns, love people!!

Yes, it does. The stiff recoil spring is a given in a small 9mm. A touch of grease on the rails is ok, just be sure the slide stop spring and linkage are not gummed up.

karateguy28 03-11-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Point6liter (Post 1527812)
The trick to mine and the two others that I have handled was to rack the slide back fast, and full strength. Seems like they all have a spot that the spring compression gets really tough, and if you don't do it fast all the way then it will stick. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to write. Had the exact same issue with mine. Shooting it some will help, but what Point6liter wrote is more the issue. Not to mention the fact that the shield is a very slim gun and I couldn't get as much as a full grip the first time around. I've gotten used to it since then and love it. Good luck!!

Sent from my HTCONE using Firearms Talk mobile app

kryptar19 03-11-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1527720)

Like guns, love people!!

Yea, it's gets better after some shooting. Point6liter is spot on.

mahall 03-11-2014 09:46 PM

Ran 200 rounds through her today, without flaw! She locked back after emptied magazine without issue as well! And yes the nature of the shield is to force it further back than the gun seems to naturally want to go! A bit better after shooting!! Thanks everyone for the help! Love the trigger and the accuracy from such a little gun!! She's a keeper!!