Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > What would you do? need advice on trade...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Default What would you do? need advice on trade...

so while I was with my dad the other day helping him narrow his choice in a new firearm purchase (which was actually quite easy due to lack of inventory!)--I came across a Beretta 96D Inox (Double Action only) that was a police department trade in. it was carried by the Ohio Highway State Patrol, and had their logo engraved into the side of the frame, and a special "OSP" number stamped into the frame as well "OSP XXXX"

kind of a unique piece and cool that it has their logo engraved into it (in my opinion anyway)

now, the gun was abused. it's been dropped...hard. there was a minor scuff on the rear of the grip, the rear sight was busted, and the muzzle of the barrel had some marks. (almost like it was carried by a motorcycle cop who dropped it and it tumbled end over end) No other damage though, other than the normal holster wear.

the rear sight doesn't bother me. I have one here from my carry weapon (96 Elite II--has front and rear removable sights, which I replaced with night sights) The barrel isn't too much of a concern, I can order a replacement easy enough.

the thing is, I can't afford to go buy it outright. I'd have to do a trade.

The only weapon I'm willing to trade is the first firearm I ever bought, a Beretta 92FS. it's well used, has holster wear, and the finish on the barrel is worn away from the weapon cycling. It's an older 92FS, it has the straight dust cover like the M9s, and it does not have the "idiot warning" on the side of the frame like the new ones do (where it says "read owners manual, bla bla bla")

I imagine I'd have to offer up some cash too for the trade because my 92 is a lot older (made in 1992) and has more wear.

Would you trade away the first firearm you ever bought? or is that kind of sacrilege and something that you should hold onto forever? Because it's the first I ever bought, it does hold some sentimental value to me, but not a ton (I'm obviously willing to trade it) I also just bought a brand new M9 a few weeks ago (part of the reason why I can't afford to buy the OSP gun outright) I've always wanted an M9 because of the markings vs a "92FS" ...so now I have 2 of the exact same gun, minus the markings.

I dunno....what would you do? haha!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Find another way to get the gun.Novelties are great and all but you will regret if you sell you're first.I know I do.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I haven't ever really regretted selling any gun that I bought, I place value on guns which were handed down to me, those I will keep forever, stuff I've bought is fair game. But that is totally up to you, if you have a sentimental value to that Beretta because it was your first purchase then it is important to YOU, if that is an issue then don't do it. If it were me I would keep the 92fs simply because I don't like anything DA only, now if it were 96 decock only then I would do the trade. I've got a 96A1, I like the platform.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #4

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Sounds like you have decided your first had shortcomings - and you moved on from it. If they were actually practically the same gun - why did you want the other... Doesn't sound like you have a lot of attachment - since it was basically the same as what you thought wanted (each time, by the way) - but you got something else anyway.

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything. Just trying to help you think about it.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

It would only be a novelty piece. I don't see myself shooting it a bunch due to the DA only feature of the gun. but, then again, I don't shoot my 92FS a lot anymore either.

It started out as my Production competition piece, but when I bought my 96G Elite II, that weapon took over my primary competition shooting, AND is also my CCW weapon.

I bought the M9 not because I felt that my 92FS was lacking, but because I always wanted the "military markings" of the M9. I know both guns are identical, (my 92 is old enough that it still has the straight dust cover, etc. vs the newer 92s that have the angled dust cover) Basically I bought the M9 to be a novelty piece. something I can break out and show to the grandkids when I'm old and grey and be able to say "this is exactly like the sidearm I carried in Afghanistan" instead of "this is the civilian version of what I carried in Afghanistan"

I actually somewhat prefer to shoot the 92FS over the M9 right now because the 92 has EASILY 20,000 rounds fired through it, and the trigger is nice and smooth, whereas the M9 is brand spakin new, has maybe 45 rounds through it so far, and the trigger is stiff and knotchy feeling.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hmmmm! Dilemma, indeed!

My first Gun that "I" bought, was a Springfield Armory XDM-9. I was a Newbie to Guns at the time, and have gotten very Gun Educated, within the last few years.

One thing I figured out along the way, was that I really prefer Hammer-Fired Handguns, rather than Striker-Fired. So, when I found a New Beretta 92A1 at a Killer-Price, I sold my XDM-9 to Cabela's, and haven't missed it or regretted the Sale, at all! No attachment to my Former Springers, like I have with my Beretta's.

Looking at what you would have to Trade, Plus the Money, and ending up with a Road-Kill Inox that someone else Beat-Up, I would definitely keep the 92FS, and look elsewhere for a better deal on an Inox. Just my $.02.

Just a suggestion... I'm not sure if you're into Rimfires or not, but... you COULD pick up a 92FS .22LR Practice Kit, swap the Slides/Barrel/Recoil Spring/Guide Rod (Comes together in a complete Ready-To-Fire Kit, plus 1 10-Round Mag...), and have a New 22LR Practice Gun, PLUS, still have your 92FS Slide Setup to swap back, when you wanted to shoot it! Your Trigger and Frame are already well Broken-In, so it'd be a Sweet Combo!

I have a 92A1 and an M9, and I sometimes swap out my M9 Slide Setup, to train with my .22LR Practice Kit. I picked mine up Used, on the Beretta Forum Classifieds.

Best of Luck in your Search!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
It would only be a novelty piece. I don't see myself shooting it a bunch due to the DA only feature of the gun. but, then again, I don't shoot my 92FS a lot anymore either.

It started out as my Production competition piece, but when I bought my 96G Elite II, that weapon took over my primary competition shooting, AND is also my CCW weapon.

I bought the M9 not because I felt that my 92FS was lacking, but because I always wanted the "military markings" of the M9. I know both guns are identical, (my 92 is old enough that it still has the straight dust cover, etc. vs the newer 92s that have the angled dust cover) Basically I bought the M9 to be a novelty piece. something I can break out and show to the grandkids when I'm old and grey and be able to say "this is exactly like the sidearm I carried in Afghanistan" instead of "this is the civilian version of what I carried in Afghanistan"

I actually somewhat prefer to shoot the 92FS over the M9 right now because the 92 has EASILY 20,000 rounds fired through it, and the trigger is nice and smooth, whereas the M9 is brand spakin new, has maybe 45 rounds through it so far, and the trigger is stiff and knotchy feeling.
This part of the sentimentality was not apparent in your first posting. This changes things... Revise my comments back a little...