Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Beretta Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   Tula ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/tula-ammo-88664/)

beretta9988 04-12-2013 12:55 PM

Tula ammo

Has anyone used Tula ammo in there 92fs. I picked up 3 boxes today since that is all Walmart had. Any issue with Tula or other steel case ammo in the 92f?

Also what is the reason why indoor ranges don't allow steel case ammo?

trip286 04-12-2013 01:13 PM

Every range is different, has their own rules, and own reasonings.... some don't allow steel cased ammo because they reload from the brass and don't wanna have to sort through it more than they feel should be necessary...

I've shot tulammo through everything I've owned that tulammo makes makes ammo for. Have never had one single malfunction, hitch, misfeed, anything, no problems whatsoever.

Their lacquer coated steel cased ammo has been known (or accused of) jamming up AR's and other semi auto rifles by failing to extract. This is blamed on the lacquer getting heated and sticking to the chamber.

Others will tell you it's total **** and will blow your gun up like Hiroshima.

Frankly, due to my own experiences with it, having shot a few K, I say these guys are full of crap. I can see lacquer seizing up inside a chamber though.

beretta9988 04-12-2013 01:34 PM

Great thanks for the information. From what read the 92fs like anything you feed it.

Now if I can only find a range to shoot steel cases.

trip286 04-12-2013 03:46 PM

There have also been claims of up to 45% failure to fire rate. But, like I said, I've shot a few K total of several different calibers through several different makes and models, and have never experienced this.

Beware though, some makers will void your warranty for shooting steel cased ammo. That's a tidbit you need to know. How you handle that info is up to you (to me, it just means never admit to having used it, even though none of my guns have needed to have warranty work.)

SSGN_Doc 04-12-2013 03:52 PM

A lot of the steel cased ammo also uses mild steel/iron or iron alloy bullets that can spark on metal back stops creating some fire risk, and damage to backstops or target holders.

Many ranges do use brass for reloading, recycling, and also recycle copper jackets and lead to help defray cost of operating the range. Having more mixed metals can lower what they can ask for the metals from the recovery and recycling companies.

Sorting steel cases is fairly easy if you have a big magnet.

chuckusaret 04-12-2013 05:43 PM

I have used Tulammo and never had a problem other than it is pretty dirty to shoot and is not allowed at some indoor ranges in my area.......Herter's is produced in the same factory, looks the same and shoots the same.

dalefan88 04-12-2013 11:46 PM

I dot 100 rounds of herters thru my 92fs with no problems.

gr8oldguy 04-13-2013 01:37 AM

I shot a box yesterday thru my CZ 75. They worked great. They always do.

eborden1122 04-13-2013 02:02 AM

I have tried it numerous times in 45acp and 9mm. From my Kimbers, Sigs, Colts, h&k and springers and tbe Tulammo has messed up everytime in every pistol. I literally mean every box I have bought have had numerous ftf's and fte's. In my opinion it is one of the worst brands of ammo on the market. I will spend a few bucks more on WWB or Federal to plink with. Good luck..

beretta9988 04-13-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122
I have tried it numerous times in 45acp and 9mm. From my Kimbers, Sigs, Colts, h&k and springers and tbe Tulammo has messed up everytime in every pistol. I literally mean every box I have bought have had numerous ftf's and fte's. In my opinion it is one of the worst brands of ammo on the market. I will spend a few bucks more on WWB or Federal to plink with. Good luck..

I probably would not have bought it if there were other options. I would rather get the federal 100 round for $20 at Walmart but they are never in stock.

Going to give leg you guys know how it goes.