PX4 Storm SD .45acp.....?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > PX4 Storm SD .45acp.....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default PX4 Storm SD .45acp.....?

I have decided that my next handgun purchase will be a Beretta PX4 Storm in .45acp, however I can't decide if I should go the extra $450.00 for the new Special Duty model, or just go with the standard full size .45acp model.....

The SD (as I understand it) comes with a nice tactical hard case, a third magazine, the faded dark earth frame which is only an appearance factor, and a half inch longer barrel, but an additional $450.00 for those features doesn't quite add up. I can get a third magazine for less than 50 bucks.....

Unfortunately there are no ranges in my area where I could test fire both to compare, out of the half dozen gun shops even remotely close to home, only one was even interested in special ordering the SD, but I'd have to drive there and give them a health deposit before that would even happen, so I can't even just check one out at the counter....

Does anyone here have the SD model PX4, and if so in your honest opinion is it really worth the extra $450.00 over the standard full size PX4 Storm in .45acp.....?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7104 Times on 3887 Posts
Likes Given: 14344

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar View Post
I can get a third magazine for less than 50 bucks.....
There you go
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2815 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I can't speak for anyone else, but the overuse of Tactical, SOCOM and Special Duty sets off alarm bells with me. Don't even get me started on "Super-accurate."
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/px4-storm-sd-type-f-/
Normally, when a barrel sticks out like that, it's threaded for suppressor use. Since the rotating barrel system renders that problematic at best, there really isn't a point in it aside from cool styling. The extra half inch that "allows the power of the .45 to fully develop before exiting the muzzle," well, IMHO thats a load of BS.
Beretta has let the marketing weasels run rampant without a leash.
IMHO, save yourself some money and get the less "tactical" version.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
SurfGuitar Likes This 
Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

MisterMcCool & Overkill....That's pretty much how I'm seeing it as well, but it never hurts to put your feelers out with the rest of the gun community to see if others agree or disagree with your direction of thought....

The SD has "Cool Appeal", but that seems to be about it because I'm really not seeing any functional advantages that would justify $450.00....

As always I appreciate the feedback from forum members here.....

Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts

$450 would buy a decent amount of ammunition for breaking the new gun in. I'd just buy the standard version.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #6

Yeah I've pretty much made up my mind on this, I'm going with the standard PX4 in .45acp.
I was never a "Tactical Tommy" type, usually make fun of those guys at the range.....
The best over the counter price I found around here is $599.00, if that seems high to some of you it's because I live in the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey, everything costs more here......

$599.00 sure beats $1,050.00....(the price I was quoted for the SD model), and that my friends will pay for a new holster, and a whole bunch of reloading supplies.....

Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

My PX-4 came with three mags a hard case and a loading tool. The mag springs are very stiff!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

SurfGuitar Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
My PX-4 came with three mags a hard case and a loading tool. The mag springs are very stiff!
Both my 92FS, and my wife's PX4 Compact (9mm) only came with 2 mags, not a big deal since I can always order extra mags right from ShopBeretta.com....

I run, and sometimes compete in steel plate matches that require 3 mags, so the third mag is important in order to use this new PX4 in our matches.....

Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

My sub-compact came with two mags my Kimber cost twice as much came with one!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
My sub-compact came with two mags my Kimber cost twice as much came with one!
Yeah I know, my Kimber Limiter Edition Target Match that cost $1,199.00 came with one mag as well....

I was out at the range today, and it suddenly occurred to me that the man who manages said range is also a licensed FFL. So I asked him if he could order me a new Full Size PX4 Storm in .45acp, he went right to the computer and looked it up.... $495.00 + $30.00 for 2-day air shipping + $15.00 NICS check sure beats $599.00 + sales tax, + NICS check.....

So now it's a matter of waiting for the State of NJ to process our permits, the guy that's buying my Kimber is waiting for his permit, and I'm waiting for mine, as soon as he gets his paperwork and hands me $800.00, I'll call my man at the range and have him order my new Beretta.....