PX4 Storm .40 cal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > PX4 Storm .40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default PX4 Storm .40 cal

Give me what you got everyone.. I've been around guns shot cleaned and practiced. Is this THE GUN for me? I've held it and it got like a glove, is there anything I need to know pros cons wise?? All info appreciated!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a PX4 in 9mm full size. I bought the 9mm cause Ive never owned a 9 and it was staring at me when I walked into my local shop. The pistol is a great gun. While shooting it I noticed a couple things. My south paw buddy who was with me was getting a stove pipe EVERY TIME he shot. I then took the pistol and shot with my left hand. I got the same results. I figure this gun doesn't like being shot with a limp wrist nor a limp wrist south paw. Its the only explanation I could come up with. I was a little shocked it happened to him cause his carry choice is a Glock 22 Gen 4 and he shoots very well with it. I wasn't shocked I got the stove pipe cause I was limp wristing on purpose.

Operator errors aside the pistol is fantastic. It is a pistol that if you want to be good with it you should train with the PX4 only. The reason I suggest this is for a few observations I made while shooting. I have the model 'F' which is DA/SA with a safety/decocker lever. It takes some practice flipping the safety off due to its location on the slide. It could be a little tricky depending on what type of pistol one is use to but its possible to be proficient with.

The other thing I found was the sights. Apparently Beretta doesn't equip the PX 4 s with night sights anymore. Thats not a deal breaker for me. I did notice however; the sights are true combat sights. The rear sight has a very sturdy cocking shelf. Its also a little wider then most other rear sights from the looks of it. I don't have anything to measure with to confirm this. The benefit Ive noticed is that its easier and faster to acquire the front sight through the rear sight. Of course with a pro there is usually a con. Because of the wider rear sight it takes away from pin point accuracy. It just takes a little longer to be pin point sniper accurate. The sights are good though.

All that aside there is one thing and one thing only that is holding me back from carrying this at work. The trigger reset. The first pull (DA) is fine. Its smooth and easy. Its no Sig P220 pull but its fine. The second shot (SA) is great. My pistol is still new and not broke in so I can hear and feel the spring when I pull the trigger back. The trigger reset is something I would have to get use to. Its not short and sweet like my Kimber Warrior but its not stupid crazy like a Kahr. It seems a little longer then a Glock. It takes some getting use to.

All in all Ive found this pistol a good reliable shooter. Ive yet to clean it after a couple hundred rounds just to see how it performs. So far so good. Right now its just a range gun. After more practice and range time it'll be my daily CCW.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

image-381784093.jpg
I put a Hogue grip on it. Made a difference I get sweaty hands sometimes when I shoot

Old 03-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I fired my friends storm in 9mm. It shoots straight and was very comfortable for my small hands. I liked the interesting rotating barrel. It is a fine gun. My friend says it is reliable too. One thing to be careful about, the safety is on the back of the slide. It is easy to engage safety when you pull back on the slide. This is also true for the 92s. The troops had problems with this. This could cost you you life. First, you try to figure out why the gun is not shooting. Next, you are fumbling with the safety. I learned to be careful back when I had a 92, but you need to be mindful. If you ask people for their opinion, you will get a different answer. Are you comfortable with the gun? Do you have the peace of mind to trust the gun when your life depends on it? My two cents? Ok, a dollar now, get a compact or full size USP in .40. I list the reasons in my other posts. It has been around awhile, but military and LEOs from around the world continue to buy them. Says a lot.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I carry a PX4 storm subcompact 40. with the click down pinky platform.I think that this gun is 100% reliable.I trust my life with this gun daily and have had her for a little over two years with plenty of range time with absolutely 0 ftf /fte .
Since the pistol I bought is small and fairly light the snap of the 40. can be a little more than ones used to but not overly so.With practice this small hurdle is easy to overcome.You may experience higher than acquired target impact but as you practice that will go away.
It comes back to target quickly making follow up shots easy and at least for me points most naturally.
I do not seem to have the problem with the safety these other guys are having.Mainly for the fact that I use it just for a decocker .The da trigger pull is ample enough to be the safety.Have not experienced unintentionally setting the safety on in drawing ,racking or otherwise.One cool thing (but also bad in a way)about the safety is that it sticks out so that if you ever have to do a one handed rack getting the safety to catch on you're belt will be easy.
Now for the bad.The safety sticks out(I know I said this was a good thing)if you're carrying this gun IWB ,doing so without the right holster can be very uncomfortable.The only other thing That I would change is that it's thick,unless you intend to wear heavy clothing all the time it will bulge and somewhere in the course of the day it will print even for a subcompact but it can be done.
I consider this a very good carry gun I have trusted my life with it for two years (little more than)now. Good luck hope this helped and that's what got me was the way she felt when I picked her up.like a natural extension of my arm.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Armory
I bought a PX4 in 9mm full size. I bought the 9mm cause Ive never owned a 9 and it was staring at me when I walked into my local shop. The pistol is a great gun. While shooting it I noticed a couple things. My south paw buddy who was with me was getting a stove pipe EVERY TIME he shot. I then took the pistol and shot with my left hand. I got the same results. I figure this gun doesn't like being shot with a limp wrist nor a limp wrist south paw. Its the only explanation I could come up with. I was a little shocked it happened to him cause his carry choice is a Glock 22 Gen 4 and he shoots very well with it. I wasn't shocked I got the stove pipe cause I was limp wristing on purpose.

Operator errors aside the pistol is fantastic. It is a pistol that if you want to be good with it you should train with the PX4 only. The reason I suggest this is for a few observations I made while shooting. I have the model 'F' which is DA/SA with a safety/decocker lever. It takes some practice flipping the safety off due to its location on the slide. It could be a little tricky depending on what type of pistol one is use to but its possible to be proficient with.

The other thing I found was the sights. Apparently Beretta doesn't equip the PX 4 s with night sights anymore. Thats not a deal breaker for me. I did notice however; the sights are true combat sights. The rear sight has a very sturdy cocking shelf. Its also a little wider then most other rear sights from the looks of it. I don't have anything to measure with to confirm this. The benefit Ive noticed is that its easier and faster to acquire the front sight through the rear sight. Of course with a pro there is usually a con. Because of the wider rear sight it takes away from pin point accuracy. It just takes a little longer to be pin point sniper accurate. The sights are good though.

All that aside there is one thing and one thing only that is holding me back from carrying this at work. The trigger reset. The first pull (DA) is fine. Its smooth and easy. Its no Sig P220 pull but its fine. The second shot (SA) is great. My pistol is still new and not broke in so I can hear and feel the spring when I pull the trigger back. The trigger reset is something I would have to get use to. Its not short and sweet like my Kimber Warrior but its not stupid crazy like a Kahr. It seems a little longer then a Glock. It takes some getting use to.

All in all Ive found this pistol a good reliable shooter. Ive yet to clean it after a couple hundred rounds just to see how it performs. So far so good. Right now its just a range gun. After more practice and range time it'll be my daily CCW.
Odd, same thing happened to mine. The only time I had a FTF with my px4 9 was when my friend who is left handed was shooting it

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

dverb92, I have the compact PX4 40. I love it. Good feel, rotating barrel seems to absorb a little recoil (may be my imagination), and back on target faster than my HK and Glock 40's. It is a little less accurate than my other two mentioned but that is to be expected with a shorter barrel. However, it is accurate enough. I got mine new for a song but that was just before the chaos. Feel it is the best gun purchase for the money spent. Good Luck

Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I got this gun its a 40 S&W for my house because I shoot left hand and she shoots right if the need for her ever need to get it out she can use it and I can shot about 300 rounds each and not one problem we both like it. She don't mind the recoil

forumrunner_20130312_213800.jpg  

Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

Thanks guys for the info. I'm definitely getting one of these things asap

Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverb92 View Post
Thanks guys for the info. I'm definitely getting one of these things asap
full size or compact?