need some quick help and info please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > need some quick help and info please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

Default need some quick help and info please

hey!

i had started a thread on the beretta inox 92 compact. i sought opinions and it seems all who had one thought it was a quality pistol.

i have one on hold at a LGS. in hitting a few reviews and finding some info, i few things have me concerned so i thought i'd bring them up for some feedback.

plastic parts: i had read somewhere that this gun has a plastic trigger & guide rod......is this true. if it is, i am a bit put off by this. this isn't a inexpensive gun so why would these parts be plastic? are there any other plastic parts i should be aware of other than the grips? dropping 7 bills on a gun with a plastic trigger and internal parts just don't seem.....i dunno...right?

anyway. let me know. i guess what any owners think of this. also...how easy/expensive is it to swap out these parts with metal parts?

i also read somewhere that someone complained of the coating on the frame coming off? i know the frame is likely aluminum, but...err...

and i guess...one last time..is this gun the real quality that a beretta should be? i think i am getting a bit of purchase jitters, this is going to be the most expensive firearm i have purchased. my AR cost a little bit less...

any info appreciated & thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

bump!

picking this up(or not) in the next few days....any info appreciated!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default 92's...

Hawk: don't know how much help I can be,..but here goes:
I have 2 "92's" a Taurus SS Target(1993-when I was still a comp. shooter) and a Blued Beretta 92 SB/F(now they call them FSB's) from the Mid 1980's. I also carried an M9 as a sidearm while on Active duty.

FWIW,..I think when they Say "plastic" they mean "polymer" but I might be incorrect. Both of mine have Steel Triggers. I also Saw that CHIAPPA makes Licensed 92's for about 2/3rds the price($499 for both Std. & Compact Blued,..$40 more for Stainless Matte)(I have their "M9-22" so I can attest that their QA/QC is good....) Have not Heard of "finish erosion" issues with New guns,..but used Police trade ins sometimes show that kind of wear if they are not "refinished" to save the new buyer a few Bucks...if thats your concern and it's not a Brand new gun it doesn't cost much to have it Duracoted or Cerakoted....( I know you have young kids tho, and any extra expense can be a DEALBREAKER)....
I remember a lot of folks busting my chops on a Taurus back then, until they saw my groups @ the range..
The orig. Taurus 92's were built on Beretta Machinery In Brazil in the 1980's for a military contract. Now Taurus still owns that factory but they only make Guns there for Military contracts. All their current commercial stuff(and the Rossi's as well) Are made in the USA(Fla)..
If your concern is valid, ask them to let you bring a competent "smith" to look at it or ask for a return policy of X-days if they have one...But I have never been sorry with any Beretta or Taurus Purchase...and i'm about to get a Rossi Judge Carbine(45LC/.410) with Black furniture for my wife....

I have always wanted an "SB compact" but could not justify the reason when I have 2 Small .9mm Smiths & a Ruger LC9...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

My 92 has a plastic guid rod, the right side of the safty and I think a few other parts I think..i have seen metal replacement part kits for it that arnt all that expensive. I read somewhere they went with a plastic guide rod for improved reliability.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

That must be a newer one then Josh.....Mine is over 25 Yrs. Old....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

The guide rod in my inox compact is steel. Wish it was the m9a1 plastic one they are more reliable under dirty conditions.

The trigger is steel with a polymer coating.

The right hand safety is steel the left appears to be steel coated in polymer. Its too close to the steel slide to be sure the magnet is reacting to that and not the slide.

Ive never ever heard of a m9 safety lever breaking

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #7

thanks to all for the quick replies!

once i got my mitts on it again, i answered many of my own questions. yes, the guide rod is steel, the trigger sure seems to be poly, but a magnet will stick to it, so there has to be some steel in there.

it followed me home...overall...love at first sight........i'll know how she shoots tomorrow!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
That must be a newer one then Josh.....Mine is over 25 Yrs. Old....
Yeah I got it a few months ago

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #9

Congrats on the Purchase Hawk! Although mine are .5" longer then yours(u did say it was a compact right?)

I find the following loads to be the best(I have used):
aside from that fact that it will eat just about anything.

Remington UMC 115 Gr. RN-all day everyday!
Federal "classic" 124 Gr. Hi-shok JHP. NOT Plus P but a good close range SD load
Hornady XTP 110 Gr. SJHP, Plus P but NOT the New Critical Defense rounds. When i can't Find Critical Defense or Critical Duty these are close enough.
General Dynamic Research 50 Gr. Frangible HP's....saw a video of what these can do and bought 2-20 rd. boxes on the spot. As soon as I get a Third I will test them on Plywood & Melons..(unless someone has Gel Blocks they wanna donate: PM me!)

hawkguy Likes This