Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > my beretta M9A1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

What is the difference between the 92 and the m9?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

main differences:

m9a1 has: rail, square trigger guard, 3 dot white sights, beveled magwell, front and back grip frame checkering, two pvd coated mags.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
What is the difference between the 92 and the m9?
Well it used to be that the 92FS was manufactured in Italy and the M9 was made in the USA per request from the military (because of their contract with beretta). But because of closed plants and changes in manufacturing requirements some parts are made in Italy and then just assembled here.

There was a lot of fuss and confusion regarding the Beretta plant in Brazil (which is now owned by Taurus) so post Vietnam war is all mixed up really.

Long story short, M9 is US and 92 is Italian, but it's the exact same gun. The A1 variants of either one include what the gentleman above me stated. But the M9A1 has some shortcuts that the 92 doesn't have, such as the plastic guide rod. All in all they are all the same. But don't let a Taurus fan tell you his is also the same...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I don't know that there IS any difference between a 92FS and the M9

my 92FS was made in the US, and according to Beretta was made back in 1994. it's got all the same things that the M9 has, except it has 3-dot sights. but there's no warning on the frame to read the owners manual so you don't shoot yourself, the dust cover on the bottom is straight, etc.

and the plastic guide rod is a "design feature" not a cost savings. the older guns with a steel guide rod would apparently jam if it got dirty, or even fail to operate completely if it became bent. the new plastic rods have grooves to "collect" dirt and still allow it to operate. and the plastic is flexible so instead of bending, it will 'bounce back' to the proper shape and continue operating.

and it's not just the M9 that has the plastic rods, I bought a 96G Elite II back in 03, and it had a plastic guide rod when I bought it, and all the newer 92s that I've seen have had the plastic rods too.

so...I believe the only REAL difference in a 92 and an M9 is that one is marked as "92FS" and the other is marked as "M9"

Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The plastic guide rods are better than the steel ones. They dont snap under use and wont keep a slight bend and bind up the gun. Im not a huge fan of steel or aluminum guid rods as it doesnt take much to bend one and start causing all sorts of malfuctions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
What a really nice collection. The one on the right (middle) is gorgeous...
Thanks, that is an older 92FS I picked up used. It has no warnings and a straight dust cover. I think it dates to 1994. I recently added a rail and a Burris Fastfire optic site and it has become a really fun shooter.

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdool View Post
I have a PX4 and its my fav and only Beretta. What would you buy next with $1000 to spend?
Thats hard to say. There are a couple of Beretta's that are rare and going for a lot more than $1,000. The Billenium for example will run about $2,500.

For $1,000 I think I would add the 92FS Inox Compact, or a bit easier to find, the 92A1 Compact. They are really nice and a bit easier to conceal. They are running in the high $700 range and that would leave us some money for range ammo

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #18

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Where's that threaded barrel?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

my camera is broke

it wont take anything but fuzzy pics. too many range trips in the bottom of the range bag. pics will be forthcoming when i get a new one.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #20

Likes Given: 9

my question to the M9A1 owners out there is... Did you pick up more of the PVD magazines or are you using others like Mec-Gar.

Plus is it me or are there limited places to purchase extra PVD magazines. I understand since the current political climate it has been very difficult to find any mags let alone PVD versions. But it seems that there is only a handful on the internet actually offering the PVD mag.