Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Beretta Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   Mec-Gar magazine...WOW! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/mec-gar-magazine-wow-81327/)

70cuda383 01-14-2013 08:38 PM

Mec-Gar magazine...WOW!

I heard how good they are from all over the internet, not just on this forum.

My one complaint about the 96 has been that the round count is less than that of the 9mm models, but understandably, the larger diameter round takes up more space.

Anyway, I was able to get my hands on some factory 11 round magazines after the gun ban of 1994 was lifted. First thing I noticed was that they were about 1/8" longer than my factory 10 round magazine, and that it does not fit flush with the frame of the weapon. oh well. I don't mind. I got used to magazines sticking out the bottom while shooting competition with 1911s and having a 10 round single stack magazine.

several years ago, while cleaning my magazine, I had taken it apart to discover the follower had a giant plastic "plug" on the bottom of it when compared to the 9mm magazine followers, so I got out the hacksaw and cut that plastic tab off the bottom of the follower, and was now able to squeeze 12 rounds into my "11-round" factory mag. It works ok, however...when the 12th round is squeezed in, the sides of the magazine tube bulge out, and the mag requires some effort to fully install till it "clicks"

I just saw the Mec-Gar 13 round magazines and thought "more bullets are always better" and ordered one off gunbroker. It arrived and the first thing I noticed was that the dimensions were exactly the same as my "factory 11-round" magazine. and I asked myself, "how in the heck are they going to fit 13 rounds into the same size space that the factory says you can only squeeze 11?"

but they do!

AND it sits flush with the frame!!

Magazine on left is factory 11 round mag that I modified to hold 12, magazine on right is mec-gar that holds 13

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6...9D06C3EF45.jpg

So now I was REALLY looking at it, and trying to figure out how they get 13 rounds when the factory can only fit 10 rounds in a flush mag, and 11 in an extended mag. First thing I noticed, was that the tube itself is infact the same length as the factory 11 round mag, but the baseplate of the mag is thicker and shaped to give the appearance of a flush fitting mag when it's really not. so now I have established that it's the length of an 11 round mag....but still, how'd they fit 13!?!

then I noticed, that this Mec-Gar magazine lacks what EVERY factory Beretta magazine that I've ever seen has...the 2 little indendations at the bottom.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6...9D1256DE49.jpg

I know that when they needed to limit the 9mm mags to just 10 rounds, they did it by creating a crease just above those indendations and carried them the length of the mag tube, effectively turning a double stack mag into a "nearly single stack mag" It only makes sense that by eliminating those indentations, at you could increase magazine capacity a little bit.

anyway, initial impressions of this 13-round flush fitting mag are that it's an awesome piece, and now I wish I bought 2:eek:

orangello 01-14-2013 09:02 PM

I have been very happy with the mecgar mags i picked up for my CZ75b; they also hold one more round than my factory mags, nice slick coating too.

JonM 01-15-2013 02:19 AM

i d really like the 20 rounders for my m9a1. gives me 20+1. it sticks out a scootch but not nearly as much as the factory versions which stick out a LOT.

mecgar makes quality magazine for sure.

Roverhound 02-09-2013 10:13 AM

I have factory 12 round magazines for my 96A1 that fit flush. Wonder why the 11 round would be any different?

70cuda383 02-09-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverhound (Post 1130547)
I have factory 12 round magazines for my 96A1 that fit flush. Wonder why the 11 round would be any different?

what base plate is on your 12 round mag?

if you look closely at the 11 round mag on the left in my picture, you can see where the original baseplate...the giant rubber padded one, would sit "higher" on the mag tube, hiding the fact that the mag was actually longer than the frame. I got tired of the giant rubber padded base plates, and replaced them with "standard" baseplates.

I imagine that the 12 round mags are the same way...they have a "trick" baseplate that gives the appearance of a flush fitting magazine when it's actually not.

(just like how the +2 extension on the Mec-Gar mags creates the illusion that it's a flush fitting magazine when it's actually not.)

HOSSFLY 02-09-2013 12:46 PM

Used quite a few in my 1911's - Never a problem :cool:

Roverhound 02-09-2013 03:38 PM

The 12 round mags have a plastic base, no rubber. I'll take a closer look tonight but I don't believe they are any thicker than the m9 mags bases. I'll let you know.

Roverhound 02-10-2013 11:31 AM

Checked last night. The 12 round .40 mags have a slightly thicker base than a comparable 9mm 15 round mag to fill up any extra space between the actual bottom of the magazine and the grips. I never noticed this an to me it never was an issue. These were the 3 magazines that came with my 96A1.
These magazines are a little bit harder to come by and a bit more expensive when you do than the 10 or 11 round mags. I'd like to get about 3 more.

70cuda383 02-10-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverhound (Post 1131987)
Checked last night. The 12 round .40 mags have a slightly thicker base than a comparable 9mm 15 round mag to fill up any extra space between the actual bottom of the magazine and the grips. I never noticed this an to me it never was an issue. These were the 3 magazines that came with my 96A1.
These magazines are a little bit harder to come by and a bit more expensive when you do than the 10 or 11 round mags. I'd like to get about 3 more.

Cool.

now the question is, how long is the mag tube? I modified my 11 round magazine and can now squeeze 12 rounds into it, but when I do so, it bulges out the sides of the tube by about .040 and makes it hard to fully insert into the frame, and if I try to drop the magazine without shooting, I have to really pull down hard on the mag to get it free. --but, once fully inserted, it feeds all 12 rounds just fine.

All I did was notice that the follower had a long "stud" on the bottom side that looked like if I cut it down and removed about an inch, it would allow it to go lower into the tube and allow me to squeeze an extra round in.

but, of course, now that I have the Mec-Gar 13-rounders with +2 base plates, I don't have to worry about that anymore, since I can now carry 15+1 in my CCW piece