Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > M9 barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default M9 barrels

This may be a dumb question but where is a good place to get a replacement barrel for a 92fs/m9? The reason I'm asking is because if I run my fingers down my barrel I feel a couple little dips in the barrel about where the slide stops if you pull it back. This is my first pistol so I don't know if this is normal. I've been a machinist since I was 17 so I don't know if maybe I'm over reacting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

On a m9 your over reacting. That's normal for an m9 after its seen some usage. The top of the barrel where the slide hits it is where it locks up. Its going to have a slight bit of wear there.

You can get barrels straight from berreta

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #3

I was thinking that but I just wanted to make sure it was normal. It's still under warranty so if something was wrong I could send it in. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Have you double checked with a micrometer?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

No I have not doc. Would I be checking to make sure it's the same all the way down? I'm going to run a gage pin threw the bore also. That will tell me if the barrels is straight all the way threw.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Its prolly going to have slightly different dimensions in different spots. Most barrels aren't a uniform diameter end to end.

Long as its not bulged which is obvious to the eye and shoots on target with no cracks or signs of stress should be good to go.

I've never heard of a m9 barrel kabooming. They fail at the locking block long before the barrel itself will let loose.

When i was doing the armorer thing I sent m9's to depot if the locking block was cracked or broken for barrel inspection as I didn't have tools for that. Replace a block yes, inspect a barrel properly no. I didn't take chances with my buddy's weapons.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #7

Right on Jon. I trust your input. And I think your right. I ran my mics down it and it varied .003 at the highest spot. Then I checked the bore with a gage pin and a .348 pin fit really nice and it slide all the way throw with a light drag which is good. So I think I was just thinking to far into it. Thanks again

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2703 Times on 1856 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
On a m9 your over reacting. That's normal for an m9 after its seen some usage. The top of the barrel where the slide hits it is where it locks up. Its going to have a slight bit of wear there.

You can get barrels straight from berreta

You can also get a very nice Match barrel for the 92 pattern guns from Bar-Sto. Mine is on my PT-92 Stainless...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
You can also get a very nice Match barrel for the 92 pattern guns from Bar-Sto. Mine is on my PT-92 Stainless...
barsto makes a really good barrel.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2703 Times on 1856 Posts
Likes Given: 542

They do indeed....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*