Issues With Berretta 92FS Inox?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Issues With Berretta 92FS Inox?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Issues With Berretta 92FS Inox?

Hello, all:

I am new to firearms, and my first purchase was a CZ 75BD Police. I have become rather proficient with it at the range and am looking to build a small collection (slowly).

My son, 16, has been shooting an assortment of guns with his grandfather for the last two years, and I've been told that he's a natural. After buying him a Ruger MK III .22 Target, I decided to get involved. Great father/son sport.

In any event, I was at the range yesterday looking for another gun, and I really liked the 92FS Inox, 9mm. As the shop was quite busy, I put a deposit on it so that I could come back on Thursday when they're not as busy, do the State application and take the gun home.

After doing that, I did more research and understand that there have been issues with this gun. Our military has found issue with them in the field and no longer uses them?

Can someone with experience and knowledge about these guns bring me up to date on there dependability and reliability? Will I have to make aftermarket mods in order to use the weapon as intended?

My use for guns at this point is target shooting and home defense. Down the road I would like to carry.

Thanks for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4113 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

The 92F is a very reliable pistol, including the INOX one of which I have owned. The early problems with frame (or slide) cracking were eliminated long ago. The stories still linger on the Internet, as it happens. Buy a 92 with confidence.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6727 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Utter internet bs. No 92 that had the military issue problems in the late 80's early 90's made it into the civilian market. all were retrofitted and are either still in service or decomissioned.

The 92fs is one of the few guns you dont have to do a thing to out of the box other than an initial cleaning and buying ammo.

They are stupid reliable, accurate, dependable.

I will recommend getting some mecgar 20round magazines if available to you in your state.

I carry a inox compact a lot.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thank you both for correcting my misconceptions.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

There afe simple things you can safely do to improve trigger pull like replacing the hammer spring with a D hammer spring or chanve out the grip panels or sights for things you prefer.

None of it is needed to make it work.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I reluctantly sold my INOX only because the trigger reach and especially the thumb safety were a long reach for my hand. The SIG layout fits me better.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Another + for the Beretta here. I have owned a 96 fs & currently, a 96A1. This is the exact same gun, but in 40 S&W. No issues. The its one I sold only 'cause I was dumb. But I will have to disagree with JonM, stick with the Beretta factory mags. Most of the aftermarket ones have spotty reputations at best over on the Beretta Forum, (completely separate site from here). Which is a good place to go for more info.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Another + for the Beretta here. I have owned a 96 fs & currently, a 96A1. This is the exact same gun, but in 40 S&W. No issues. The its one I sold only 'cause I was dumb. But I will have to disagree with JonM, stick with the Beretta factory mags. Most of the aftermarket ones have spotty reputations at best over on the Beretta Forum, (completely separate site from here). Which is a good place to go for more info.
Mecgar makes the factory mags for berreta. The diff tween the mecgar aftermarket and factory mecgar mags is mainly follower length baseplate and coatings. Some factory mags depending on coatings have serious issues in dusty environments.

This past december my wife and i spent 10 days deer hig and yote hunting in south texas riding around on 4 wheelers using our m9's as backups. Dusty dirty wet on a few days our m9's had mecgar 20's and functioned flawless over 1000 rounds fired between the two guns.

I havent had this m9 but about a bit over a year. I dug out a mecgar mag out of my truck i loaded back in january of last year two weeks ago so it had been loaded with 20 rounds for 16 months. Fired all 20 with no issues.

I recommend the mecgars based off actual experience with them using the gun in adverse conditions outside a controlled range environment. While the factory mags are ok they arent as good as the civvy 20 rounders.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
MecGar makes factory mags for Beretta and SIG also. They can be trusted.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #10

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Yes, I am aware that MecGar makes Beretta and other factory mags. To each his own. I'll just buy the Beretta ones.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.