Beretta PX4 Storm - Overview and Shooting Demo Video
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Beretta PX4 Storm - Overview and Shooting Demo Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Beretta PX4 Storm - Overview and Shooting Demo Video

Picked up the PX4 Storm about a month ago and have enjoyed shooting it. Finally got around to making this overview and shooting demonstration video. It's one great shooting pistol. Takes a little getting used to Beretta's sighting method, front post over, not under, the intended point of impact, but ... once you get used to that, it's as accurate for me as any other 9mm I've used.

Here's Beretta's description, I find the barrel lock cam and pin system is really quite unique, and I believe it does make for a sturdier firing system, and smoother shooting feel.

The Beretta Px4 Storm is a semi-automatic pistol manufactured by Beretta of Italy and intended for personal defense and law enforcement use. The Px4 uses the same short-recoil, rotating barrel action as the Beretta 8000 Models and uses the same trigger and safety system as the M9/92/96 series, while being completely different in design from either. Light-weight polymer construction with steel inserts, a modular trigger group, fully enclosing slide, Picatinny rail, and changeable backstrap options for the grip are a radical departure from previous Beretta designs.

Unlike the first generation Beretta 92/96/M9 series, the Px4's trigger guard is rounded for better concealed carry. The takedown pin of earlier models is replaced by a spring-loaded bar, accessed via frame recesses on both sides, which must be grasped and pulled down simultaneously to release the slide. The slide spring is doubly captive, being inserted approximately an inch into the transfer block at one end and a receiving hole in the front of the slide at the other. It is a self-contained assembly, completely captured by the polymer guide. The magazine holds the top round directly behind the barrel's breech end so only a slight feed ramp is needed. This allows the barrel to fully support the case. The 6-R rifling of the barrel generates counter-clockwise torque which is harnessed by the locking system to reduce the amount of pressure required from the rotating barrel lock's cam and pin system to effect unlocking. The steel transfer block's cam pin is 5 mm wide and 2 mm deep. The entire hammer unit mechanism can be removed from the Px4, without the use of special tools, as a single group. This allows easy access to the firing mechanism for cleaning. The Px4's design makes it impossible to assemble incorrectly from a field-stripped takedown.

The Px4 features an interchangeable, luminescent 3-dot sight system (coated in Super-LumiNova) for use in dark or low-light situations. With short exposure to any kind of light, the night sights' luminescence lasts up to 30 minutes. The weapon also incorporates a Picatinny rail under the muzzle to allow flashlights, laser sights, and other accessories to be attached. Beretta discontinued the luminescent 3-dot nights sights for the Px4 in 2010, replacing them with standard 3-dot sights.

Removable and interchangeable parts: To aid the versatility of the Px4, a number of parts were designed to be removable and interchangeable. These parts include the backstrap, the magazine release button, the slide catch and the hammer unit mechanism. The backstrap is available in three sizes: slim, standard and oversized. The magazine release button can be mounted on either side of the weapon and replaced by one of three types: standard, large or combat (extended). The standard slide catch can be replaced with a slimmer version to avoid snagging when the weapon is drawn quickly from a holster.

The Px4 is available in four models:

Type F: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
Type C: Single-action-only ("Constant Action"). Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
Type D: Double-action-only. Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
Type G: Single and double-action. Decocker. No manual safety.

VIDEO HERE

http://youtu.be/u-o_l-MWASA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 802 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I own two PX4's one full size in .45 acp and the other is a sub-compact in 9 mm. both are the type G. They are both great shooters but personally I would have preferred the type F. I wasn't aware of the different models. I got into a rather heated discussion with a gent about this and he kept insisting his "buddies" PX4 had a safety and being a peace-maker at heart I said something tactful like "look ninny I have the damn thing in my hand, there is no safety!". Discussion went south after that so if you are still out there it seems we were both right

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have the Type F Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm. Purchased mine new back in Feb. of 2007. I keep a log on all my firearms, listing number of rounds fired, by whom, and comments. I have just under 2100 rounds through mine, and with every user on every outing, the "comment" line still says "100%"!
I own 11 handguns, and consider myself an XD man. But I have to say that the PX4 Storm has equaled, if not out performed, even some of the five XD's I own. I used the PX4 Storm in IDPA competitions for a while, and it was always dependable and plenty accurate. The "cam" lock up makes for a smooth running, quick to get back on target, setup.
I also own the CX4 Storm carbine in .40 S&W. It too, is ultra reliable and accurate.

"No one knows what it's like to be the badman"...-The Who

Old 05-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 802 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 381

The only issue I have is the finish on the slide of the sub-compact started to flake off and it really looks bad so I sent it out and had the slide plated and the slide stop and retainer pin done also.
Then the barrel polished and a new stainless guide rod. So now it will be two tone. The sub-compact does not have the rotating barrel like the full and compact ones do and instead uses a tapered barrel.
I really this little gun and its 14 round capacity its very accurate and reliable.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Picked up a Sub Compact model Friday. Will be looking for a 20 round mag or two.

Beretta is famous for well made firearms, this one is no exception. Cub compact model looses the rotating barrel and a few other items often times mentioned on the two larger versions. Personally I wish they would have lost the decocker on the right side. Ideally I would think that could be ordered Right or left handed.

Still, all in all, sweet firearm.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Picked up a Sub Compact model Friday. Will be looking for a 20 round mag or two.

Beretta is famous for well made firearms, this one is no exception. Cub compact model looses the rotating barrel and a few other items often times mentioned on the two larger versions. Personally I wish they would have lost the decocker on the right side. Ideally I would think that could be ordered Right or left handed.

Still, all in all, sweet firearm.
Have had mine for a little over two years now and love it.Absolutely 0 issues and well over 1500 rounds.I. did experience the flakeing of the finish as someone else has already stated but barely noticeable unless you really give the gun a good eying.I have not shot a better subcompact in 40..My only two gripes would be the safety/decocker and that it's a little thick for carry.Speaking only for me of coarse.On a good note my gf likes to shoot it so much it may become hers.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I held a compact at a local gun store yesterday and I could just get my paws on it well enough to shoot it. If the subcompact has any smaller grip, I'd be in trouble. I just have to have a larger grip. That's why I put a Crimson trace laser on my G26, in addition to the benefits of a laser, it bulked up the grip.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I have shot my friends storm in 9mm. They are very expensive over here. I really enjoyed the gun. I would not mind owning one. I own high quality pistols, and would consider the storm high quality. I think the rotating barrel is really cool. I welcome new ideas that actually work.

http://www.frankonia.de/199515/167513/productdetail.html?pagingSize=16&lastSelected=f_s_ marke&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_ma rke=Beretta&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumb er=141040&navCategoryId=6756

http://www.frankonia.de/199515/167512/productdetail.html?pagingSize=16&lastSelected=f_s_ marke&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_ma rke=Beretta&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumb er=129584&navCategoryId=6756