Beretta 92FS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Beretta 92FS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Beretta 92FS

Want some input on the 92FS? My dad just bought one new for $650. I told him to spend it on a high end Glock, M&P, or XDm but he decided he liked the Beretta.

What did y'all think of this gun?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #2

Liked 1137 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Dang good and reliable gun , I own a few from taurus and retta and they are my 1st go to large frame semi's . Spend some time on it and you can really learn how to shoot on them . Plenty of parts , IF you ever need any and even though tons of them were made they still hold their value quite well . Try to keep up with all the original papers and boxes . They are a tad bit on the heavy side but like I said , it is a larger gun so .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #3

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I like them, we have inherited the FIL's 9mm and I have a Beretta 96A1 which is the same gun in a 40S&W. I am not a fan of strikers in large frame guns that I am not going to carry much if at all, I prefer the SA/DA for general shooting.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think he did good. Its an easy gun to pick up and put on target. $650 is a good price, even more so with the way people are going nuts right now. I could be off, cause that's what I gave for each of my Marine 92FSs.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

its a good thing he got the gun he wanted rather than the one you wanted

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
its a good thing he got the gun he wanted rather than the one you wanted
Lol. Couldn't agree more. We went to the range today and I actually really enjoyed shooting it. Accuracy was good and I like the weight compared to my M&P.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #7

Liked 1137 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Its always fun to see the same gun you have in movies . Like '' Hey I got one of them ''

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mark Twain once wrote, "I left home at 18 convinced my dad was the most ignorant man in the world. I returned home at 21 only to be amazed at how much he learned in those 3 years." Dads are usually a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Sounds like your dad made a smart decision..

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...

Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I think he made one of the better choices from those guns. It's dependable, accurate, and proven in the field. There's a reason the military chose it as the side arm of choice during all their firearm competitions. I'm not saying those other guns aren't any of those things. They are also good guns. I would only say that the M&P feels more comfortable to me, but that's me

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I like Beretta's over just about any other modern day, double stack, semi-auto pistol. (when you toss in the 1911, it's a 50/50 for me. I love the 1911, but it's only an 8 shot single stack gun vs a 15 shot double stack gun)

I carry a Beretta 96 Elite II for my CCW. I picked up a couple Mec-Gar 15 round magazines for them, and the "plus 2" base plate on the Mec-Gar 13 round mags fit the frame flush, and looks about the same as the giant rubber mag plate that were on the mags that came with the gun from the factory.

that said, I'm not going to sit here and try to claim that any one make is better over the other. I know that the polymer striker fired pistols from Glock, Springfield, S&W are all good, quality, reliable weapons that you can trust when/if your life depended on it. I lump them all into the "entry level, $500-600 modern era semi-auto defensive pistol" category, and when friends/family ask my opinion on what to buy, I tell them the same thing--"you can't go wrong with a Glock, XD, M&P, 92/96, etc. so go to the store and handle them, or a range and rent them, and buy the one that feels best and shoots best for you"

I took my dad to buy his first semi-auto pistol a few weeks ago. I had planed on having him handle all the above mentioned weapons, but unfortunately the store was pretty much cleaned out! they had nothing in stock in terms of new Beretta's, (just one beat up police turn-in that was dropped and in really bad shape), they had no full size Springfields or S&Ws, and all they had left were a few Glock 22s and 17s.

There were a few compact size glocks, and a compact size XD, but my dad has big hands like I do, and really wanted a gun that his fit his whole hand. the Glock 23 he handled left his pinky finger dangling off on nothing.

He ended up buying a Glock 22 simply because there really wasn't much else to choose from. he really liked the police department turn-in/used 96, and I have a spare rear sight here to replace the broken one on that gun, figured we could sand/file on the grip a little to smooth out the gouges in the metal, but when I saw the chewed up metal on the muzzle of the barrel I told him the barrel should be replaced for accuracy issues, not knowing what that chewed up metal would do to the round as it was fired--the last thing the bullet would be contacting on the gun was the displaced/gouged metal on the muzzle...so he decided to pass on that Beretta.

We went home and immediately fired about 50 rounds through the Glock, and he was happy with it.

Anyway, It sounds like you're coming around/warming up to the Beretta's too after shooting it. I don't know why, but it seems that when it comes to Beretta's, you either hate them for some unknown reason, or you've shot them and know them, and love them.